Featured Old Wicker Basket - Timeframe / Origin?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Doug Ketcher, Aug 23, 2023.

1. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Good Evening, not sure if a "wicker basket" is technically "furniture" in the forums, but I couldn't figure where else to ask... Recently bought a very old wicker basket, which was advertised as "midcentury". The basket has a nice lid and is 18 inches tall and 12 inches wide. I believe it is Asian, but not sure. Was hoping someone could take a look at the style and shape and perhaps give me some insights as to the origin location and timeframe it was made. Any info would be GREATLY Appreciated! Thanks!! WICKER BASKET WITH LID - 1.jpg WICKER BASKET WITH LID - 2.jpg WICKER BASKET WITH LID - 2A.jpg WICKER BASKET WITH LID - 3.jpg WICKER BASKET WITH LID - 4.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Such "pencil reed" baskets and furnishings seem to have been popular in the 60s and 70s. Pencil reed is a form of rattan, a climbing vine native to Southeast Asia and Indonesia, where most of these items were probably made.

Your basket is made with a version of the coiling technique and so, technically, would not be classified as wicker. (Wicker is a woven technique, with vertical uprights/stakes and horizontal weavers.) There are traditional styles of coiled basketry made in Indonesia and Southeast Asia, but they do not look like this basket. Although I have not been able to find much information on the history of this type of product, I suspect it was developed specifically for the export market.

For comparison -
    https://scoutdesignstudio.com/products/fl40-93-pencil-reed-urn?variant=42096144449694

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup, single rod coiling...

Doug Ketcher likes this.
  4. Doug Ketcher

Doug Ketcher Well-Known Member

Wow! That's AWESOME!! THANK YOU for the info!!

Born2it and 2manybooks like this.
  5. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I second that emotion! I never cease to be amazed by all these people who are willing to share their hard-earned expertise.

Draft saved Draft deleted