Featured Old wooden box with reverse glass painting inside

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Old time Ebayers might recall this box. It was my late cousin's. There was a reverse painted glass with a fox and hound stuck inside the cover with green duct tape. I removed it and then posted it with questions. A notoriously negative person and I got into a spat about how I ruined it by removing the "original" glass plate. It is still my opinion that the glass came from an eglomise mirror and probably my late uncle taped it in there when the mirror fell apart. That was one of my pink slap vacations because he was one of Ebay's pet posters. LOL. Anyway, the house is over-run with glove boxes and lap desks and I have to start decluttering. I just thought the glass image was interesting. Too bad you can't glue glass. IMG_8213.JPG IMG_0514 2.JPG IMG_0515 2.JPG IMG_8216.JPG IMG_8217.JPG

2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

If you are trying to repair the glass, you can try clear silicone adhesive. I have had some luck. Really charming.

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ah-the old Ebay chats.I briefly spelunked that spider infested rabbit hole twenty or so years ago.
    There were some knowledgeable contributors,but many seemed like escapees from Dr. Caligari's asylum.
    This salon's much more civil.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

:D:D:D

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

:hilarious: How well I remember those! :hilarious:

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  6. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Ah, but you can glue glass! It will still be fragile, and the cracks may show, but I use Loctite glass glue all the time.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Thanks for the hints. I'm going to try and glue it because I find it charming.

The person who annoyed me the most was the guy who would tell newbies to use Brasso or Tarnex on their antique metals. I was convinced he was an employee because no matter how ludicrous his suggestions, he never got pink slapped. Thank goodness this site was created.

kentworld and komokwa like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Oh, I well remember that clown!

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

:hilarious::wacky:

Draft saved Draft deleted