Featured Older blue and white large beer stein -- nice handle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

For years I was somewhat turned off by beer steins. (Ironic, because I love beer. :singing:). My parents had some inexpensive steins from the 1970s and they just seemed so uninteresting.

180 degree turn around, finding there is beautiful art in many of the older ones. Yesterday at the GW, this was out on 1/2 price day for $2.99. It is a fairly large stein, measuring 10 1/4".

Yes, I see the giant chip. Realize this kills the value, but I could not leave it on the shelf, even if I just owned it for a little while. Love the relief work, think it is quite beautiful. Other than the main chip, it is perfect and the handle is so great --an old pot bellied beaded guy hoisting a beer barrel on his back, lol!

Thinking maybe late 1800's early 1900's? Not too much of a question here, unless someone recognizes the maker, or has a few keywords or comments. Thanks.

stein1.jpg stein2.jpg stein3.jpg stein3b.jpg stein6.jpg stein4b.jpg stein4.jpg stein5.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style is Westerwald, a well known ceramics region. Very nice detail.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd check inside the lid too; sometimes the makers of the metal bits labeled them.

5. Lucille.b

Just took a look there, no marks. Also no liter marks on this. Thanks.

i need help likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I can't offer much but some links to a few sites. If you want to improve the look you could try some Milliput epoxy clay and some acrylic paints. I probably would.

Without a maker's mark it's hard to know where to start but this site has factories by name and there are examples on most of those listed if you wanted to click through.

http://www.steinmarks.co.uk/pages/pv.asp?p=stein553

http://www.steveonsteins.com/

Bakersgma, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thanks, SIS. I took one look at the first link -- Too many choices, lol!

The 2nd link shows more promise. Not exactly sure what I am doing with this, yet. Didn't know if the handle was interesting enough that the piece might have interest even with that chip.

But had to laugh, from the side bar on the right of link #2 was this rarity scale:

"Rarity scale = for All Bear Steins from "Target Practice" to Yard Sale to European Museum Quality."

LOL! :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Lucille,
    My Gram had a set of six steins like yours, However she removed the pewter lids and supports from the handles and donated them to the War Drive (WWll). My cousin got the mugs when she bought her first house for the basement bar.
    greg

judy, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted