Oldest Coin

Discussion in 'Silver' started by BU66, May 24, 2017.

1. BU66

BU66 Active Member

Years ago I wanted a 200 year old coin in nice condition. Problem was they tend to be $$$. Back in 2009-2010 I found this bust half at the local coin shop for $100. It has a hit on the reverse and I talked them down to $90. I figured I'd wait a couple year then she'd be 200. The draped bust halves a couple years earlier go way up in price. So this one fit the budget at the time. It also happens to be from the war of 1812 era.
    What's your oldest coin?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joshua Brown likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My oldest coin is a Roman sestertius Gordian lll 238-244 AD. I have an Elizabeth l six pence 1569. I found the Elizabeth l coin in the 1970s when Interstate 95 was being built through Philadelphia. people were finding all kinds of things from cannons to bottles to coins. One guy found a large stash of silver. It was written up since there were old newspapers offering a reward since it was stolen in 1771. They figure a sailor stole the silver, tied up in a bag and hung it off the wharf to be picked up later. He never did since it sank to the bottom and was buried to be found in 1974. My favorite coin I found was a 5 dollar gold piece in a mans ring. I bought at a flea market for 10 bucks. The seller thought it was fake. Sold the coin a few years later for 300 bucks and scrapped the rest of the ring for 125. Should have kept both, gold was going for 200 an ounce, who knew it was going to go up to a grand?
    greg

3. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

I've got a 1868 shield nickel! :D

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, I thought my 1890s Liberty Head / Barber Head Quarters were grand, but they don't compete with your 1812, never mind Greg's Roman and Elizabethan the 1st stuff and such. I'll just quietly hide my face and slink away.

What astonishes me is the complete lack of value of Confederate bills. I've got a handful that my mother collected thinking they would be valuable. I guess at the end of time when the world runs out of fuel, I can warm my hands one last time by burning them. :( Then again when the world runs out of toilet paper .....:D

--- Susan

komokwa, BU66 and tie.dye.cat like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Huh, well not a coin collector so here's what I think I have.

Several assorted coins that are supposed to be Roman but I've never researched.

A 1670 something or other that I think is from the Netherlands that came with a piece of glass I bought years ago. The seller said they were together.

An 1804 US half cent.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Susan,
    I know what you mean about the Confederate bills. I had a stack of them and sold them in 1960 for 3 bucks. The only one I got money for was one printed on wallpaper. It was a 10 dollar one from Montgomery. I got 25 dollars for it.
    greg

Ladybranch and tie.dye.cat like this.
  7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I've got some Roman coins, but don't recall the dates.

8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

rom 001.JPG rom 002.JPG
    This was in a bag of tokens at a sale last week but I suspect it is a copy

BU66 likes this.
  9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I have some Victorian-era sterling silver British coins (half-crown, shilling, sixpence, etc).

And I have two Straits Settlements silver coins from the early 1900s.

10. Dawn mohrbavher

Dawn mohrbavher Active Member

I was going to say....I'm not. Collector....but then realised that perhaps, given I have an account with a coin shop in Bath and receive coins regularly in the mail...maybe that's a lie lol.

My oldest coin is a Phoenician (800 bc) coin and I have two Bizantian (600ish bc) coins. Then there's the sixpence....I guess I collect them because I bought them to sell and have never taken them out of the drawer where they are stashed. I have six from about 1550 to 1570ish. A few 1600s and some 1700s. I also have some very early English pennies but can't remember the year.

I pulled a tiny coin out of an antique cash drawer yesterday. I have no idea what it is I'll have to post and see if y'all know what the darned thing is lol.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm not a coin collector either, but I once saw a grab bag of miscellaneous coins for cheap, so I bought it. This was in it:
    Ancient Coin Roman Silver Denarius 210AD-c.jpg
    A Roman silver denarius. Apparently it's fairly unusual and can be dated very closely to 210AD.

This is the coin I like best out of that bag. I can show this to some people and they'll change color and have trouble breathing. It's fun!:
    Coin Money Russia Russian Ruble 1970 -a.jpg
    A Russian Ruble

Dawn mohrbavher and BU66 like this.
  12. Dawn mohrbavher

Dawn mohrbavher Active Member

My odd little coin is a Norwegian 1 Ore coin from 1910. Cute little thing...possible future jewelry lol

Draft saved Draft deleted