Featured One of the best Folk Art Fakes of All Time

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Feb 26, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

2. James Conrad

OOPS, ART not ARK but it won't let me edit

Figured it out, all better now

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Amazing story. It's so visually striking, seems that examiners may have been distracted from picking up possible details that might have been a red flag, although this situation is difficult because we're talking about a art creation. . with no direct comparisons. Made me think of the Brewster chair sold to the Henry Ford museum that was a modern fake.

4. James Conrad

Yeah, sometimes people want something to be true so much they don't examine the construction details as they should.
    I was involved with a fake pilgrim century Chamber Table several years ago and it caused a lot of grief. In the end i had to send flowers & candy to smooth over the hard feelings by the dealer who purchased it and had asked me to research the piece.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Yes, one needs to put emotion aside when looking at a lovely "antique". If I remember the Brewster chair story correctly - the forger set out to fool the museum because he had been kicked out for telling the museum they had more then a few fakes on display. . he painstakingly made the chair, had a friend sell it to them. I guess this was his way of proving he was smarter then curators. In the end, the chair seemed so correct, the only way to prove it fake was highly detailed x-rays picked up the wrong shape of drilled mortises - he had used 19th century drill bits, not 17th century bits ! The museum kept the chair - using it as a lesson example for the public.. THF134861.jpg

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

An incredible bit of work. Too bad it was discovered. History is what people want to believe. This would have fit in, no problem.

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  7. James Conrad

I remember that incident, I think John T Kirk (inadvertent father of the grunge movement) had examined that chair and said it was good. The best way and the only way to be sure is, forensic exam, take the piece apart, piece by piece and examine the construction details.

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  9. James Conrad

MOS, Yeah, i hear you, ignorance can be bliss however, when there are hundreds of thousands of dollars involved or more...........it can get complicated.
    It's ALWAYS about the dollars

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Or X-ray, which is what I recall they did in the case of that chair.

judy, Any Jewelry, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The whole thing fell apart because someone provided a photo of the piece "in situ" when there was a photo of the unadorned piece also "in situ".

Neither photo would have been enough in itself to invalidate the piece, and it rang all the right bells and whistles.

Without that photo of the unadorned piece, questions would never have been raised.

Sure, the money's the thing, but only because of that photo of the unadorned object.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  12. James Conrad

Yep, that's true, at least for the present.

kyratango and judy like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Great Story on the Civil War secretary!!! Thanks for posting!! I missed reading that somehow!!!

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Both stories are great! Thank-you for sharing them James and Jeff:) Do you have anymore to share?

15. James Conrad

I don't, not real sure i'd want to do that again. Trying to tell someone who just bought their treasure that it's a fake isn't real easy to do.

kyratango, cxgirl, judy and 1 other person like this.
  16. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Very interesting. I’m surprised no one seems to have mentioned the face sticking its tongue out defiantly, perhaps a reflection of the faker’s attitude.

7E235B90-9540-4371-A4E4-C79CDC6CB4D1.jpeg

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wild Imagination, there, Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wacky::wacky::wacky:

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

No, I imagine that would be a hard thing to do.

19. James Conrad

Pilgrim Chamber Table Fiasco :dead:

This table had fooled A LOT of furniture historians, collectors, dealers, museums and high end auction houses (christies) over the years. I got a call from the dealer while she was driving home with her prize early Sat afternoon, i could hear the elation in her voice. The dealer sent me to the auction house web site to look at pic's and promised to send additional pic's when she got it home. As soon as i looked at the piece, i had reservations from the start, it looked good, TO DAMN GOOD! i thought to be a 350 year old example. By early Sunday morning after looking at more detailed pic's she sent sat evening and some very lucky research, i was convinced it was a copy & not a period piece. I told the dealer my findings, she became angry with me as i was killing her BUZZ at her life long dream to own this form ( there are about 2 dozen of these known to exist). By early monday morning after getting documentation on this table from MESDA which was OVERWHELMING in my view (pdf link below), i convinced her to cancel the CC transaction & call the auction house to make arrangements to return it. It was returned, i sent some flowers & box of chocolates to soften the 2 days of trauma.
    Bottom line? yesterdays fake is still a fake tomorrow

HMMMMM, it won't let me down load MESDA file, to big, i'll try another way

20. James Conrad

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted