Featured One silver dollar paper certificate

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I know this isn't the money forum, but I've had this a long time and just refound it. Only worth $5-$10, but interesting. I'm curious about the holes punched in it. Was that because it had been taken out of circulation?

IMG_9609.jpg IMG_9610.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The ones I`ve seen have never had punch holes so I don`t know.

Although it is no longer possible to redeem a silver dollar certificate for silver, certificates are still technically legal tender, as they can be exchanged for a Federal Reserve note.

Mine don`t have holes.

007.JPG

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I remember "silver certificate" on dollar bills when the dollar was still backed by silver, but never seen one of these. Nifty piece!

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I suspect Bev's is a lot older than yours, Davey. Those are the silver certificate bills I mentioned above.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

True,
    Bev`s is a 1923 Speelman , mine are 1935 and 1957 but they are all redeemable for a Dollar.

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

They punch holes in expired passports, that's why I thought it might be so old it was headed to the furnace & got waylaid

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

Could be.
    They cut the corner off our expired passports..............
    Which reminds me, I must apply for a new one.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I can't believe I need a passport to go to Canada. When I was a kid, we'd drive up from NH and the driver only needed a license and everyone else in the car was vouched for. Sad. In New England, we get quite a few Canadian coins in change and everyone takes them, even the banks. When my kids moved further away they both had the same experience. Tried to use a Canadian coin and were told it was foreign money. They were surprised.

9. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I remember those times too Bev, we used to all pile into the car and at the border would be asked our name, where we were born, and where we were heading .. and that was it !! and this was leaving Canada and heading into the US. The threat of terrorism put an end to this, now one has to carry a passport. I'm all for it of course .. but I do miss the days of friendly access. Plenty to be afraid of these days unfortunately :( ... Joy.

judy likes this.
  10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I've never seen anything quite like this. The exact placement of the holes must have some significance.

judy likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-6-28_0-38-34.jpeg

We used to be such good friends........sigh.....

12. serafino

serafino New Member

We will always be good friends. When we American's go up to Canada to visit they treat us like the neighbors we are.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And another one in a couple of years time.:arghh: Hold on to the old British EU ones if possible, they will no doubt be worth something in the (distant) future.

Very sad. But if one side elects a spoilt toddler for president, what can you do.
    I hear some big US companies are planning to set up factories abroad, so Canada could thrive. Maybe the EU as well, especially now that Trump doesn't want our investments in the US. The Netherlands is third on the list of foreign investors in the US. Now let me see what I will spend my money on, when it comes back.....:hilarious:

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Maybe so...but we Canucks get a little jittery , crossing the border to go down and visit you.

Thrive ?...our economy is doing fine....but a trade war could push us into a recession.........

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It would, but if you get more US companies, that would work for you. You'd get more international trade.
    You're still in the Commonwealth, aren't you? Doesn't that help with international trade? Otherwise just apply for membership of the EU.:)

Some British companies are now moving their headquarters to the Netherlands and other EU countries in anticipation of Brexit, as are international companies and agencies that used to have their headquarters in the UK. We're not complaining.;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. serafino

serafino New Member

LOL, if you Canucks get jittery visiting us in the USA. You should go down and visit our southern neighbor. That's a whole different level of "jittery"

cxgirl, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  17. serafino

serafino New Member

1968 was the last year we could redeem Silver Certificates for actual silver. If you had a $5. dollar bill you would get a little silver bar, if you only had a dollar they would give you a small bag of silver granules.

Draft saved Draft deleted