Featured Opal stuck

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Houseful, May 29, 2020.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Some may remember I’ve posted this before as a Charity shop find. White opal set in a costume goldtone metal. I’ve loosened the prongs but there’s some sort of glue still holding it in place. Any advice please? I don’t know if soaking it in water or oil or white spirit would ruin it. Also I’m worried about it fracturing if I try and gently prise it out. Thanks.

53AE2194-9B5F-4C71-858D-4EF9439906A2.jpeg 22D89C2C-8954-4E65-AD0E-1FD29DA03DDA.jpeg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Is it a think blob like hot glue? If not, a drop of acetone or nail polish remover on the glue (don't soak it) may loosen it. But don't do it until you hear from others, I don't know what acetone may do to an opal :eek:

3. Houseful

It does look blob like, I’ve never used hot glue but I imagine that’s what it could look like.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is good to be careful with opals. Water should be fine, but I don't know if hot glue is at all impressed by water.;) @Hollyblue ?

judy, Christmasjoy, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Soak in aceton, Justin from BLACKOPALDIRECT made a YouTube vid showing how solid opal is resistant to chemicals!

Even heat or cold!

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Pure acetone is the way, don't use nail varnish remover as that has other chemicals in it.

7. Houseful

Well he’s a bit of fun! Thanks Kyra, I also watched the doublet video and his dream black opal grinding video. Gorgeous stones, worth a lot of money too, no wonder he was shaking!

kyratango and judy like this.
  8. Houseful

Thanks Davy, I’ve got this stuff, made in uk with just 1% Bitrex to stop kids drinking it so I reckon this would probably be ok if as the video showed hydrochloric acid didn’t have any effect. I’ll be just putting a few drops on the glue and avoid the stone as much as I can.
    I’ll post the result.
    75F41BBE-640D-4436-9538-5E5348C5E7E6.jpeg

KSW and judy like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's the stuff. It's a carcinogen, so keep it off your hands if you can, but that's the stuff.

Houseful likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Houseful, just a bigger shot.....and all I'm seeing is a shiny little blob of glue.... doesn't mean there's not more elsewhere tho.....do what others suggest and GOOD LUCK!!!!! BEAUTIFUL stone, BTW!

22D89C2C-8954-4E65-AD0E-1FD29DA03DDA-gigapixel-scale-2_00x.jpg

kyratango and judy like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Justin is so funny, master opal man too:woot:
    An so much incredible stones to drool on:p

Houseful likes this.
  12. Houseful

I will, Thanks. As a sculptor I never have long nails, never been to a nail bar and last wore nail varnish in 1970 something. I find it worrying people are using this sort of chemical as a regular part of their beauty maintenance.

13. Houseful

Glue is mostly in the middle Aquitaine, it’s about 2mm thick.
    I’m steeling myself to do it because it would make a lovely pendant.

Aquitaine likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just use caution and you'll be fine............!!

Draft saved Draft deleted