Featured Opalescent gilded glass stemmed dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Jul 1, 2022.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I picked this up from the antiques fair today. I saw it from across the room and scooped it up. It wasn’t expensive but I have no idea what I have bought.
    It reminds me of the opalescent glass beads on some of my Czech/Bohemian necklaces? Am I close?
    What age is it likely to be?
    The stem and base are just clear glass with an air bubble in the stem and the two parts don’t look entirely harmonious! The workmanship is a bit ugly, it’s slightly lop sided and has damage with an internal crack (yes I know :rolleyes:but I like it).
    It’s not easy to photograph so ended up using a black background .
    It’s approx 12cm tall. Is this for a specific purpose? It’s not a drinking glass so could it be for desserts?
    The base has a rough pontil on the underside and a raised rim on the upper side.
    Any information welcome please :)
    Thankyou
    1D24F732-269A-40F4-B5B4-088268F38A6E.jpeg 4A70C642-C033-4175-94B8-867FBFBCF3F6.jpeg 74746485-69A5-42D3-97C7-90541F77D10F.jpeg 84212F4E-E4DA-496A-9C11-04CB02689950.jpeg 9D3E54C9-47ED-4E84-8C70-FA8C20C8E14B.jpeg 04248A05-5B2C-45DB-88E4-E05457775B28.jpeg FC8199F6-EAB3-4B4B-A048-386E96DDBC24.jpeg F88D648F-CFA5-4905-9E5A-EDB32648D420.jpeg 600936BA-6782-4943-990C-23DB23994056.jpeg F69A1457-2E5F-4232-BD4F-8B76864B62EC.jpeg

2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I think opaline would be a better term vs opalescent. Might help in your search. While I can't say for certain, I get a Bohemian vibe from this. Your internal crack may be what is called an annealing crack. Caused from the difference in cooling time between the 2pc of glass (bowl & stem). Very nice!!

judy, Any Jewelry, bercrystal and 5 others like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

How interesting, a hollow baluster stem, a medial knop and a folded foot with opalescent quatrefoil bowl. Agree with you and @*crs* I think this has to be bohemian and late 19th century. It's too hefty for Venetian and doesn't perhaps have the deftness of French from the period. It is definitely in the unusual category and a good spot, I also would have snagged it.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like it needs some BUBBLY in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):hilarious::happy:

judy, charlie cheswick, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. JunkshopJim

JunkshopJim Active Member

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I just saw a collection of this called Bohemian by a glass-addicted dealer. Turn of the 20th century, which jibes with the gilding. NICE stuff, but then I have an affinity for opalite/opalized glass so...

Aquitaine, bercrystal and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lol, I’m going to have to go and look up what most of that means!
    Thanyou very much :)

That makes sense.
    Definitely!
    That’s amazing! Thankyou so much for finding that as I didn’t find anything similar.
    BBAFC698-4213-4CD2-B36B-4594BF4BF2F2.jpeg

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Good, I’m glad it isn’t just me that likes it!

judy, bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. JunkshopJim

Yeah. It's sort of on its own like, but now you have a couple more adjectives for search terms and possibly the producer. Or not :banghead:

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, who knows if they are attributing it to a maker as a wild hopeful guess or with good reason!.
    Even if the former it’s great to see another similar one and, as you say, some new search terms.
    I appreciate the effort you went to to find another one Jim :)

*crs*, judy, bercrystal and 1 other person like this.
  11. JunkshopJim

It was nothing really. Did a screen shot and got lucky with Google reverse image search. Took less than a minute. We are all here to help each other and further our own knowledge. So far I have been limited to things I find in charity shops but looking at stuff on here expands your knowledge of stuff.

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Our local weekly antiques fair is a real mixture from cheap and cheerful to really expensive antiques, costume jewellery to high end stuff. I’m always on a budget and can nearly always find little treasures that are affordable and not much more expensive than the local charity shops. This cost £10 which as anyone who knows me knows is top of my budget :hilarious:.
    I learn so much from this forum, I just wish I could remember everything I learn!

judy, Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's Salviati, it looks way more Bohemian to me. As others have said, the glass is too solid for a start.

Google lens isn't reliable, in that it picks up an image, then propagates whatever the person owning the image has said.

Annealing shears are caused when glass isn't cooled slowly enough. They can manifest years after making and even result in a thing falling apart.

*crs*, judy, charlie cheswick and 3 others like this.
  14. JunkshopJim

No one said it is reliable. Its certainly saved countless hours of searching for me though and often produces instant effortless results.

judy, KSW and bercrystal like this.
  15. JunkshopJim

How about Moser. :rolleyes:

judy, KSW and bercrystal like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Out of the dozen plus times I've tried it, only works from my phone, I've gotten usable results precisely once. The rest were wrong to bizzarely wrong answers.
    I've about given up on it.

judy and KSW like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I use it occasionally and I get a useful result in about 1 out of 20 searches but when it gets it right it’s great! It’s just another tool to help piece a jigsaw together even if the person who has posted the image is somewhat what deluded in their description!.

That was my first impression although of course I know diddly squat. That Opal colour is so similar to the Czech beads.

Lol, hopefully not on my watch :eek::hilarious:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

The falling apart is usually seen with paperweights. Literally two halves.

KSW and judy like this.
  19. JunkshopJim

If you're expecting it to identify the maker, pattern and number of a paper weight you're probably demanding a little too much from it. Although I did find an exact match of one in a shop a couple of weeks ago. I try and make sure I have the object on a plain background so you get a good contrast of the edges.

I guess it also depends on the rarity of the piece.

judy likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Eh? I'm talking about annealing shears.

BoudiccaJones, *crs*, KSW and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted