Featured opalescent glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antidiem, Feb 18, 2021.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

My eyesight is terrible, but so is this label!

The vase is about 6 or 8 inches tall. OpalescentVase1e.JPG OpalescentVase1d.JPG OpalescentVase1a.JPG OpalescentVase1c.JPG

Please, does anyone know what glass company / what mfg / circa / details?

2. antidiem

Also, I cannot quite figure out how the bottom is so well molded(?) but the top is so obviously blown?

Bronwen, judy and KSW like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Gullaskruf (Sweden) 'Reffla' vase, late 1950's. Items like this are moulded then the tops worked by hand while still semi molten (or reheated) to the plastic state.

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very pretty.

antidiem, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

The glass would have been mouth-blown into a vertical ribbed-mould. Once released from the mould the vase would be tooled by hand to widen its shape and to form the top before the glass had cooled. The opalescent qualities were achieved by controlling the heat using bursts of cool air & a hot flame. If this procedure wasn't done with care the result would produce a vase that is completely White.

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

7. antidiem

Thank you, @Ce BCA - yes I was thinking it would have had to have been reheated, or shaped as soon as the mould was pulled apart from it. So odd, so interesting!

Thank you, @pearlsnblume , I got it at the summer $5 estate sale around the corner from my home - in the $5 box lot of stuff! I was thrilled to find this, I love opalescent glass.

That's actually what I was hoping to hear. It's the only method I could figure out that would have given this result. But the HANDWORK part seems so tedious - to manufacture these in any sort of bulk. I learned a bit about how to blow glass, we built a glass annealing kiln and fire pit when we were young students, so I know it's so hot and difficult to do something like this! Thank you, @ritzyvintage .

ritzyvintage, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. antidiem

Thank you so much, @judy , the date is more recent (1952) than I would have thought, for so much handwork to go into this piece. I will try to research the factory in a bit more depth.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE WORDS ON THE LABEL ACTUALLY ARE?
    There appears to be very small words on it too. I guess I'm going to have to check out that cataract surgery at some point in the near future! Thank you all for so much kind help. :joyful::kiss:

judy likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It says Gullaskruf (for the maker) and Percy (for the designer) and the form below is a stylised 'G' which is their logo.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

CE BCA answered your label question...........

I will try and convince you to have the cataracts removed as soon as possible. You will be amazed how well your vision comes back.

I had one done, then immediately asked the dr. not to wait to do the other.............

I only need to use readers, (sometimes) and that is now 3 years after the OP. I did not even need them until very recently.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. ritzyvintage

That's actually what I was hoping to hear. It's the only method I could figure out that would have given this result. But the HANDWORK part seems so tedious - to manufacture these in any sort of bulk. I learned a bit about how to blow glass, we built a glass annealing kiln and fire pit when we were young students, so I know it's so hot and difficult to do something like this! Thank you, @ritzyvintage .[/QUOTE]

It's worth mentioning that there are times when 1 mould can produce a variety of vases. A ribbed-mould for example can produce different shape-forms whilst still retaining the vertical lines of pattern. Once the ribbed-glass is removed from its mould it can be blown into several styles or even placed into a second mould. This makes 1 type of mould very useful and variable...
    upload_2021-2-19_17-9-30.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_17-10-11.jpeg
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

antidiem and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. antidiem

Thank you so much, I'm sorry I couldn't read it :(:(

13. antidiem

I hope to have this done before I die. I was told 2 years ago that I have cataracts but that they aren't "ripe" yet. My health has been so precarious this last year, that my eyesight seems the least of it.. :(:(

Meanwhile, I'm grateful to have our group to ask for some help :kiss:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hang in there anti. I have cataracts too but other issues dog me as well.

15. antidiem

Thank you, Ritzy. I simply have collected too many vases!

Thank you so much (((Pearls))) :shame::kiss:

pearlsnblume and ritzyvintage like this.
  16. ritzyvintage

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. antidiem

Edited to add how now that I know the exact words in order, I can see all of this! Including the stylized "G". Thanks again!

18. antidiem

"There's no such thing as too many"
    :joyful::joyful:

ritzyvintage likes this.
  19. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

No trouble at all, and it isn't easy to read, I new the maker so it wasn't difficult for me to make out, just as you can now see it once you know what it is.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted