Featured Opals or?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Feb 16, 2019.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

My hubby asks same... I generally answer, "I don't now yet... but you always could sell it when I'll pass":angelic: (I'm 7 years older than him):hilarious:
    And either, he doesn't have the faintiest idea of the size of my hidden hoard, seing only what is on display :wacky:

Bronwen, Pat P, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Do either Moonstone or Laborodite have an objection to a quick wash with some gentle soap do you think?
    The silver is now clean but the stones are pretty grimy. I know Opals don't like getting wet so just thought I should check about these!

Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No problem.:)

Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Like all stones there are different levels of quality,yours are on the lower end.The more expensive stones have more color and brighter flash.

Bronwen, Pat P and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'd better get polishing then!:hilarious:

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Labradorite comes in at least two colors, gray with the blue-ish butterfly wing effect, and white with the rainbow-y effect. Some folks call white labradorite "rainbow moonstone", just to confuse matters. I think there's an orange one too, but I've never seen it in person.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The distinction does not seem to be a well-defined one. According to this sort of Moonstone for Dummies page from the GIA

https://www.gia.edu/moonstone-description

'To be called moonstone, a mineral’s actual identity is not as important as the beauty of its adularescence.'

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. evelyb30

It's easier to tell them apart in person.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think we would also like to see them cleaned up & photographed on a white background. I don't know what colors behind are doing to colors displayed by the stones in pix.

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'll take some more photos when I've given them a bit more of a clean up!.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@KSW

The above link is full of misleading/bad information with a number of "trade names" which do not apply to actual moonstone.

13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Oops, ok, I'll unlearn what I've just read!

14. evelyb30

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted