Featured open pontil bottle, flared lip - use?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dawnno, May 18, 2019.

1. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

So, yesterday, I had zero knowledge about glass bottles. Today, out of an auction lot of 26 bottles for $1.50 on which I took a chance, I started the process of learning about machine and hand made bottles, and found lots of great research resources. So this one puzzles me and was the only handblown one of otherwise machine made bottles (mostly whiskey ca 1910 - 30s, and about a 1/4 medicinal).

It's an unusual shape, 7 inches tall, relatively light, glass quite clear, bubbles not excessive and quite small, flared lip, open pontil scar bottle. No markings. Base isn't quite flat so it wobbles a little. The shape seems to be molded after blown.

The open pontil scar and flared lip suggest 1800's, but specialty bottles might still be hand blown today and be imports. Anybody recognize the use - liqueur? a tonic? and can anybody narrow the period/date from between ancient Rome :) and today?

2019-05-18_10-44-23-PM.jpg 2019-05-18_10-53-05-PM.jpg 2019-05-18_10-44-56-PM.jpg 2019-05-18_10-45-12-PM.jpg 2019-05-18_10-48-15-PM.jpg 2019-05-18_10-48-36-PM.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice design..!

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

2019-05-18_11-28-30-PM.jpg
    better bubbles.

judy likes this.
  4. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

dumb luck? we'll see.

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm NO bottle expert, but the shape makes me think perfume, BWDIK either!!:rolleyes:

Edit: Well, I sort of found the shape, in green with writing on it, so it's NOT it exactly......and here's where it is if you want to check it out.....I used Google and "ANTIQUE/VINTAGE curvy perfume bottles" for keywords..... there were two different ones side by side.....forgot....you have to scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page!!!!

https://www.google.com/search?clien...biw=900&bih=477&dpr=1.82#imgrc=AL2zdVNe2_06aM:

tumblr_p5emnsFR0D1u55bo0o1_1280.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    judy and Dawnno like this.
  6. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

IF this is an old bottle e.g. 1850s, perfume bottles were usually glass stoppered to 'dab' the perfume... no atomizers, so no need for 'refill' bottles like we have today. Plus the perfume oils would be in smaller bottles.

BUT I think YOU MIGHT be in the right ballpark, since, COLONGE bottles seem to yield some fruit:

upload_2019-5-18_23-57-3.png

pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Candidly, my concern is the clarity and lack of color in the glass to be that old.

judy likes this.
  8. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Thanks! "Balsam of Life" apparently was a medicinal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turlington's_Balsam

Something that's not easily seen in the pics is that there is a faint interior surface coating that is a haze. Reminds me of medicinal bottles that had metals or caustics in them, that left the interior of the glass coated.

Just observations, somebody will correct us!

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That book, "The American Bottle Collector's Price Guide" by Donald Goodell, says the medicinal bottle is worth anywhere from $28. to $35......but yours could still be a perfume maybe??? That book itself is only $7.99 with Prime on Amazon!

pearlsnblume, judy and Dawnno like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Not perfume. BTW, having to take Turlington's Balsam was like drinking Medusa's blood. It was dripped onto a heaping teaspoon of sugar (which it corrupted immediately), and then one swallowed it.

Instant and HIDEOUS taste produced a kind of paralysis which prevented coughing. Nearly prevented breathing too.

Incidentally, The model, Christy Turlington, is a descendant. ??!!

Dawnno, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

could be mid 1800's unbranded cure bottle, cork closure. Nice find

cxgirl, i need help and Dawnno like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted