Featured Opening this box was pure adrenaline!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jan 30, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good Evening Everyone!

Last week I put up a post for "an all new sniffing game" and the moment of truth has arrived! Admittedly, I wasn't sure how good this find was going to be, but I was 100% blown away by what I just opened up.

So I was actually pretty nervous with this find and here is why: the seller provided me with tracking information, and the package was supposed to arrive in 2-3 days max. The package showed that it was in transit, but there weren't any updates for a few days. Quite happily, it showed up today on the 5th day, I don't know what happened nor do I care because they showed up.

Pictures are below...for those that didn't see my previous post, I paid $40 total (there was other flatware, but all plated). This is one of my all time favorite flatware finds. The set below.... made in France by Laurent Labbe between 1829-1852. I believe I'm looking at the 95% silver Minerva mark. The weight of these pieces just doesn't translate through the photos. A 15 piece set weighing in at 1232 grams, and I'm beyond excited to add this to my collection. Keep looking friends, it's out there.

IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3683.JPG IMG_3684.JPG IMG_3685.JPG IMG_3686.JPG IMG_3687.JPG IMG_3688.JPG IMG_3689.JPG IMG_3690.JPG

LIbraryLady, Nick72, cxgirl and 18 others like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

40 bucks...you dog. Nate Double G Dogg.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's Kick Ass Mr N8.......those spoons are THICK !!!!!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

good - no great score - better than my 18 butter knives for 10 bucks even!

7. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Pretty sure at the current silver market, it'd be $653.27 USD worth of silver if it were 92.5 % and $706.24 if it were 99%. Not sure how to figure out the 95% but am guessing somewhere around $675. Given the maker, is the flatware worth more than the scrap value of the silver content?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Holey Moley, Nate - what a FIND! It's not just the silver weight - that pattern is EXQUISITE, too! Well done!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Given that it's Louis Philippe era French silver, I'd guess a big YEPPERS on that one. I've never even seen any before. (and even I had to go look up that timeline; post-Napoleonic French politics ... eep)

10. dude

dude Well-Known Member

R we talking a couple K here? Don't tease us newbies! lol!

11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

They are BEAUTIFUL Nate ... absolutely a most wonderful set, WELL DONE !! .. Joy.
    :):):):):):)

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great, Nate.:happy:
    Yes, you are!:happy:

14. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very pretty, but that's a lion in the mark not a rabbit. The design is also much more "art nouveau" looking to me than would have been made in the 1850's.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I wish I had my parents silverware in the silver chest just to look at it again and to maybe figure out who made it or the design I think it was a wedding gift or purchase.
    My brother took it, so....:(
    How many holidays we spent eating with those pieces, I can not even say.
    Ah well...

SBSVC, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for finding that Bakersgma, I clearly had the wrong maker and wrong time period!

19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

those are beautiful, well done Mr Nate:)

Nick72, pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted