Opinions? -- Damaged Piece Of Roseville Pottery Blackberry On eBay -- Deal or Dud?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe2007, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I watch eBay sold listings on Roseville Pottery and this particular listing jumped out at me since at first glance it appeared to be a bargain! In perfect condition these LARGE Roseville Blackberry vases should on a good day sell in the $600-1000 range.

Then I saw the significant crack on the bottom and am wondering if at $232+tax and shipping this piece is more of a dud than a deal? I bet this crack runs through a significant portion of the piece and may be an indicator that it was dropped or knocked over at one time during its life.

Your thoughts please.

Joe

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-RO...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Roseville Blackberry 01.jpg Roseville Blackberry 02.jpg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Joe, I followed your link to the eBay auction and then took the next photo of the bottom in the list, past the one you show enlarged here. There are clearly 2 tiny chips along the bottom crack and there might be one slightly above the bottom rim going up the side (in might be a small burst bubble). However, in this photo you can see that crack continues way up the side of this piece.

To see it more clearly, go back to the eBay listing, click on the middle bottom picture and it enlarges quite nicely for viewing (wouldn't let me save the enlarged version tho).

My gut reaction is this has a more significant crack than the seller is mentioning. Just my 2 cents worth. However, this Roseville line does command pretty good prices in an over-all down market for pottery.

roseville.jpg

Ghopper1924 and Joe2007 like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just a side note: in the past I collected both Roseville Donatello and Weller Woodcraft. Had some very rare pieces. Sold all the Roseville and kept 2 'dog' pieces of Weller, I was lucky to sell when prices were sky-high like Roseville Blackberry is now.

If I was looking to invest/resell this particular Roseville piece I would shy away because of the damage.

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

For some reason I didn't scroll over to see the additional pictures! Thanks for pointing them out. The crack does appear to be fairly significant. I only buy at in person auction and in antique stores so I can inspect the pieces in person. For some of the cracks I've spotted you have to get the piece into the right light due to the damage blending in so well.

I have a piece identical to this one in excellent condition. It is one of the centerpieces of my collection. I did have to shell out a few hundred more then what this listing realized but these 12 inch Blackberry pieces are something to behold and are absolutely massive.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if u were starting out...or needed to fill a spot in your collection....then maybe...
    otherwise....... broken will always be broken.......

6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I agree. Just thought this listing was interesting in that it didn't have any condition report in the description but if one closely examined the photos they could tell that this piece wasn't a bargain.

I wonder if the winning bidder did their due diligence or is going to be disappointed when they examine in hand? Who knows …. all of that ugly fake Roseville Pottery still seems to sell so perhaps the "winner" is going to be satisfied.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

roseville.jpg @Joe2007, enlarging that picture above......that crack goes WAAAY UP the side, as far as the image shows!!!! Just an FYI!!!!
    Interesting post, anyway!!!!

Seller DID mention a "tight crack along the BOTTOM" only........so if buyer isn't happy, they DO have legit recourse, I'd say!!!

"Here's a very rare piece of Roseville. In the Blackberry Pattern, it's 12.5" in height. Has a tight crack along the bottom (see photos). No other damage. Weight is 8 lbs. Circa 1930 period. Only other one I found on Ebay they're asking $1400. This is auction format, we will start it low and see what happens. Check out all our listings of antiques... We can combine shipping where possible to do so."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted