Opinions on another piece for repair

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ruedi, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

I must apologize for my poor computer skills re photos...but would like your opinions on this piece..to fix or leave as is. I've had it a long time. thanks in advance GetAttachment 4.jpg GetAttachment5.jpg GetAttachmen6.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is that a Van Briggle mark I see?

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have no knowledge about it, but that looks like a very handsome vase.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is Van Briggle. Would like to see the bottom better to get an idea of age. An early version of this vase might be worth having restored. A later version, maybe not so.

5. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

Thank you very much for the replies...I always seem to have time only when I am away from home working. I will try to get better pictures when I get home in two days. Thak you all for your time.

komokwa likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There are two different ways to have repaired. One is more expensive than the other. One using just "fill in" it will look nice but not being able to use it. That is the cheapest way. The other is a full restoration so you can use it like it was never chipped. I have several done both ways. If you plan on keeping use the cheap way For sale I would use the more expensive way. Some of my Fiesta has the cheap repair since it is for me and never used. Some of the Fiesta I spent more money on
    since it was for sale.
    greg

7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

*crs* likes this.
  8. verybrad

The thing about Van Briggle is that early versions are exponentially more valuable than later versions. This mulberry glaze was made for a lot of years and, if the OP's vase is early, worth a lot more than what that mid 20s vase sold for. From what I can see, I don't think this vase to be earlier but I really can't see much.

This three indian vase is one of the most popular vases made by Van Briggle and the value varies quite a bit according to the details. For example, this later initialed vase sold for $704.00 because of the initialed signature. (Too much IMHO)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WONDERFUL-A...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A dated or verifiable early version would be worth even more.

9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

A GOOD CLEAR photo of the base with a good color match of the clay can go a long way toward dating it.
    Accurately dating V Briggle is a pain in the a**. Base finish is everything and the overlap in base styles is broad. A pain in the a** I tell ya.

Knowing just where this piece falls would influence the leave alone/fix question. I'd probably leave as is.

10. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

Better image of bottom IMG_0061.jpg

11. verybrad

I think that marking and bottom puts it a bit later. Maybe 30s-40s but I don't have my book to confirm. The easiest pieces to date are the pre-1925 and the very modern ones. The middle period is hardest to date but your unglazed bottom, clay color, and use of lower case letters and abreviation for Colorado Springs should at least put this prior to the 60s.

Consequently, this is not a high value version of this form. Restoration for yourself might be in order depending on price. You might be able to get a better example for the cost of some restorations.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

Thank you for your reply. Knowing this ...I may do what I have for the past years..keep it on the shelf with th echip facing away. :) thanks again verybrad

Draft saved Draft deleted