Featured Orange opaque glass tidbit maker?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by say_it_slowly, Apr 17, 2016.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm just a sucker for orange. This opaque tidbit came home with me and I'm not seeing another when looking. It's about 10 ¾" diameter and has some straw marks and a little variation in color but I don't know that it's enough to call it slag. Any ideas on maker?

upload_2016-4-17_10-22-6.png
    upload_2016-4-17_10-22-34.png
    upload_2016-4-17_10-22-59.png

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Me too.....love the rice vibe it sends !

say_it_slowly likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

Yea I dragged this lamp home too and they look pretty amazing together all orangey. I guess I should add this to the lamp thread:eek:
    upload_2016-4-17_12-9-48.png

Wanttoknow and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

I would love to see that lamp lit. SIS.

The tidbit tray is also striking.
    Is it glass as you say? Pictures are hard for me to distinguish from porcelain?

If glass I would like to say Westmoreland which would date it pre-1985 but can't find it any books. Definitely not slag glass which is made by mixing different colors, usually only two with one being white, with the finished product having broad streaks of color.

Slag Glass: A short explanation

"Slag glass" is a collectors' name for opaque pressed glass with coloured streaks, usually white and/or cream streaks like this brown bugle made by George Davidson's in the North East of England in the 1890's. It is a name which was not used by glass-makers until recent times. The name derives from the belief that these colours were achieved by adding "slag" from iron smelting works to the glass.

Do a Google image search for slag glass. 50% of more are NOT slag glass but enough are, though mostly the new purples, which I call ugly examples.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    say_it_slowly and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Incredible lamp! You should definitely add it to the lamp thread.

say_it_slowly and tyeldom3 like this.
  6. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Oh! I am "In Love" with this lamp!!!! But anyway glad I didn't find it myself.... or because it would be the lamp #1111111111111 and :pthe only available place in my house I could keep it - on my head! Or.... just "eat" it, because it looks like sugar candy... :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    Jen and George and say_it_slowly like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

LOL I know I love this lamp too! I did add it to the lamp thread but here it is with the light on. The light is small and would probably light it up better if the leaves were removed but put it in the sunshine and it sparkles!

The tidbit is definitely glass with a little bit of lighter colored glass but only a little. I'll look into Westmoreland and see what I can find. Thanks!

upload_2016-4-17_14-43-53.png

8. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Be carful when guests will be in your house! You should attach the note, that it is "décor" or somebody will try eat it! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Love the lamp. Paden City also made opaque glass trays. I just tried to look on the Chatabout glass site to see if the handle is one used by Paden City and to see if this was one of the colors they made but I almost got hijacked by ransom ware on the Google link. If you have a safe link, check out Paden City.

10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Check Fenton Mandarin Red and Northwood Chinese Coral.

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Also, all of the NW pieces I've ever seen in this color look slightly "slaggy". Sometimes they look real orange, other times red with maybe a yellow streak in it. Very lovely color overall.

13. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

I agree with Pam, Northwood. Chatabout didn't show any Fenton handles like this.

14. say_it_slowly

Thanks for all the good direction. I was reading about Fenton Mandarin Red compared with Northwood Chinese Coral and what I'd read said that the "swirl" colors in Fenton are darker than the orange while in Northwood they are lighter. My swirls are definitely lighter so assuming that is true it would lead to NW. I'd have to say the color overall is a strong red orange.

The example shown sure looks like mine except for the gilt and I found another plain one online also. My handle has very worn gilt but the edge gilt is not too bad. Would that have been an original decoration or added by someone else? I'm considering removing the gilt at least on the handle. Good idea or no?

(You all are amazing!)

15. msgood2shoe

I would leave it like it is.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

YUMMMEEE for BOTH!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

17. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I first thought about Northwood's Chinese Coral, but have no knowledge of other colors like that so I abstained. Is the decoration from Wheeling Decorating? if so they were both in the same city, Wheeling, WV

18. msgood2shoe

It's really difficult to see the detail of the decorative gold pattern. It might be Wheelings "Doubled Leafed Plum", but Webster's book on Wheeling Decorating Co doesn't show it as gold encrusted. That one seems to be the closest from what I can tell.

19. say_it_slowly

I'll clean it up a little and see if I can get a better photo of the edge but it just looks like a swirly non specific pattern to me. I don't know the first thing about Wheeling Decorating and I really appreciate the help trying to sort this out.

20. say_it_slowly

Here are a few shots of the rim but my glass photo skills are really lacking. I think the high areas of the pattern are either worn away or perhaps whatever method they used in decorating wasn't very clear. I can see what look like leaves and maybe flower petals all sort of jumbled together (I think). I don't have any books on glass decorating, are there any good line sources?

edge edit 2.jpg edge edit.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted