Featured Orange stone id

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Oct 22, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Sweet little silver brooch/pin. Mark is hard to make out but looks like 830S, so presumably Scandinavian. Wondering what the stone is? It’s very peachy colored. Like the skin of a peach going from yellowy to pinkish orange. Nice looking piece of rock. Found Adesine Feldspar as the closest match but not sure how common that would be. Anyone think it looks familiar?

Edit: also era guess? 1900-1940 somewhere?

60226245-5021-417C-B4FE-B5BF6786A01A.jpeg 05995B64-F7EE-43E4-88C4-E63C745275A2.jpeg 73930DBD-AE0C-49B3-957F-04811AC3A3CE.jpeg 1FF5989A-EAF6-4DAE-B106-706641E6F711.jpeg

judy, mirana and Potteryplease like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like cornelian/carnelian to me.

Gus Tuason, judy, J Dagger and 6 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Nice little brooch, almost translucent!! Sorry I missed your BIRTHDAY....HOPE IT WAS A GREAT ONE!!!!

judy, J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd figure it for an orange agate of some kind. It wants to be carnelian. I can't see it being anything too exotic in a fairly standard setting like that.

judy, J Dagger, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Which is also more likely, because artificially coloured andesine, like the one in the photo, only became available about 20 years ago.;)

judy, J Dagger, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Thirded on carnelian.

J Dagger, Bronwen, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Mexican opal?

judy, J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG][​IMG]

I say carnelian also...

judy, J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  9. J Dagger

who had a bday?

10. J Dagger

Hmm looks like consensus says carnelian. It is just so much more peachy and lively looking than other carnelian I’ve seen. I like carnelian but it’s more drab looking usually to my eye. Of course being a natural material I’m sure there are infinite differences in shades of color within the same general palate.

11. J Dagger

Something like that crossed my mind too. There’s more light in it than other carnelian I’ve handled. Of course maybe its naturally a lighter color, it’s cut thinner, and the back is just more open, letting more light in than most other carnelian I’ve seen. If enough of the knowledgeable folks here think it’s a duck, it’s probably a duck. If my brooch quacks I’ll know for sure.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Exactly. And as you also remark, how the light hits it & how much hits it affect the overall look. This slender navette cabochon shape gives lots of opportunity for light to come through.

Carnelian is just orange chalcedony. A piece of material can range from colorless, to yellowish, to deep orange. Couldn't find a really good example among my files, but here's a tiny carnelian cabochon that someone had made into a wee brooch:

AesopBackB.jpg AesopBackA.jpg

for some reason preferring the convex side to the flat one:

AesopCrow.jpg

Not exactly a case of Necessity is the Mother of Invention, but I had it made into a pendant.

13. J Dagger

What a neat little piece! Is that a family crest would you think or just fanciful? Also is that an urn/pitcher? If so, what’s it on? If not, what is it? Also good example of light passing through the thinly cut carnelian.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

It illustrates Aesop's story of the crow that couldn't get at the water in the pitcher until it dropped in enough pebbles to bring the water level up to where it could reach.

Aesop Necessity illustration Vernon Jones.jpg

Not a family crest, but perhaps a symbol of the inventiveness of the original owner, who probably had it in a ring or a fob seal. The pitcher is rather fanciful in construction.

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

carnelian2.JPG
    Here are a few examples of carnelian colors.....

Any Jewelry, J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  16. J Dagger

Interesting range! Are those your specimens? Did you “mine” them?

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Yes,we went on a field trip in southern Washington some years ago.Spent around 4 hours collecting from a large pit.
    carnelian1.JPG

J Dagger, Bronwen and aaroncab like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Here in Connecticut, at least in parts, you find garnets. They're not gem grade, but people nab them just for the fun.

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  19. J Dagger

I found a lot of itsy teeny weeny garnets in CT as a kid. Never one bigger than a BB though.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. J Dagger

Very cool! There’s a rock hound in me just beneath the surface waiting to get out. I was obsessed with rocks as a kid. Every day after school at age 5-6 or so my pal and I would gather football sized stones to smash with larger stones and see what was inside of them. It’s a wonder we didn’t lose fingers or eyes. I’d always gather one from each place I visited when I was older. I guess I still do.

Draft saved Draft deleted