Featured Oriental Bronze

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Gus Tuason, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

This is a nice vase/container which I've had for several years. My wife is insisting that we downsize so I'm finally seeking info on it. It is 6" high; 5" across at its widest; 2 - 1/4" across the base; and has a a 1 - 5/8" opening. It has a Lotus (?) on opposite sides. It has 2 horns on top for hanging (?). I have left it as found as I like the patina and the dent on the lip of the opening. P6290001.JPG P6290003.JPG P6290008.JPG P6290002 (1).JPG

dude, Figtree3, NewEngland and 4 others like this.
  2. Gus Tuason

I've had this on for several days but it has generated no discussion? Why? Is it in the wrong forum? Any comments appreciated. Thanks

dude likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nobody knows? Wrong eyes have seen it?

You might have put it in the Metalware forum, but I doubt that would make much difference.

I don't know anything about it.

Gus Tuason and dude like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could it be that the P C version of Oriental.....is now Asian...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

so , no one wanted to get caught up in a woke moment..:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

or......

no one here who has seen it....has a comment!!!:inpain::inpain:

Gus Tuason, J Dagger and dude like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it does have over 100 views........so, we've noticed it !!!:happy:;);):wideyed::wideyed:

Gus Tuason and J Dagger like this.
  6. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

Don't know about it but I do love it.

Gus Tuason likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looking at the "characters" on the bottom, I'm not seeing any of the Asian countries' alphabet. Very odd "letters."

Gus Tuason likes this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

You’ve stumped everyone most likely. I agree with Bakers that the characters don’t look similar to Japanese or Chinese characters. When that’s the case I default to Korean if I think it’s that part of Asia. I’ve seen a decent amount of “purple bronze” repros on eBay. This looks to have some age though. Maybe try an auction house that specializes in Asian?

Gus Tuason likes this.
  9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'd guess Japanese ... haven't really seen another quite like it. It is a beautiful piece IMO.

Gus Tuason likes this.
  10. Gus Tuason

I agree, the characters do not look Chinese or Japanese and to tell the truth I don't know which way is up. I thank all of you for your comments. Sometimes one feels all alone when there's no comments. Appreciated. Eventually someone might come along.........

komokwa likes this.
  11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm 90% sure its Japanese. This is the correct orientation:

P6290002 (1)-01.jpeg

The bottom character is Zan or Yama. It is stylized in a particular way, the age/implication of the styling are beyond my limited knowledge.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Lovely, but that's all I know.

13. Gus Tuason

Thank you. Now that I have some clues I can narrow my research.

aaroncab and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted