ORIENTAL brush and PAN?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sally Jennifer Wilkins, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Does anyone know about this... Is it for clothes? IMG_20191014_170251_resize_20.jpg IMG_20191014_170259_resize_10.jpg IMG_20191014_170251_resize_20.jpg

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Sally!

Looks like a table crumb brush and tray.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I agree crumber, it might be papier mâché.
    (Dopey Spellcheck)

Any Jewelry, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good morning, Sally. Interesting set and I agree with Judy, but what suggests "oriental" to you? Are there markings somewhere?

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think probably Japanese, basing that on the curved brush but not sure, maybe other countries used the same brush shape, too.

Ironically I just purchased one of these last weekend at a sale, but mine might be a bit older. Mine is paper mache, so agree INH, the one above might be.

abrush2.jpg

cxgirl, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I am seeing many oriental designs, advertised as England and/or France (but without proof of such) so might need more research. I also see some stating Japanese.

judy likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are there marks on the bottom that the darkness is hiding?

8. Thanks guys I wrote a reply already... Knowing my luck you're going to get a doubler. Such a newb. Next to bristles you can see bare wood and the the start of varnish or paint. Thats a nice set Lucille that is funny you just acquired it... I wasn't able to find any online. I thought it was Oriental cos of colours.

judy likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Can't say about yours for sure, but the older papermache sort of does look/feel like a light wood, but a vintage one could actually be wood.

I just did some googling, also seeing the English / French origin for some of these. In fact the one I posted a photo of above was possibly purchased in England. (Former owner had lots of antiques and used to live in England. I believe she brought many antique things over. ) Maybe made in England with an Asian motif?

I guess one question would be if these crumb trays were popular in Japan as well or if importers were just using the Asian motif.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I see those curved brushes over here all the time. I suspect English for this one: there was a huge thing for japonaiserie in the 20s and 30s. Colours are spot on for that period too.

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

@Lucille.b Yours is almost certainly 19thc English.

12. Thankyou everyone

i need help likes this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted