Oriental figures? Can you help?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Stephen Spencer, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Stephen Spencer

Stephen Spencer New Member

Please see the attached photo, I inherited a collection of these figures from my grandfather. I have no idea of their origin or history!

There are six in the set I have, each in a different pose and around 4cm long.

I have asked many people, know one knows. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Stephen!

I wish I could help.............

Bronwen and Stephen Spencer like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Stephen.

The figure you've posted is of Daruma (Bodhidharma), the Chinese monk who introduced Chan Buddhism in Japan, where it is called Zen.
    He is said to have cut his eyelids off so he couldn't fall asleep during his long meditation. That is why he is always depicted with those big, often bulging eyes.

4. Stephen Spencer

Stephen Spencer New Member

Thank you.

Thats 100% more than I knew!

Anyone any ideas of the age etc?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome Stephen. More views of this one, including bottom + pix of some of the others will be wanted by the folks here who know about this sort of thing. If nothing else, Any Jewelry will probably be able to ID them all for you.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, we definitely need more pictures.

Bronwen, judy and Stephen Spencer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted