Oriental? Hexagonal Ginger Jar Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Siblye, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Siblye

Siblye Active Member

Hi Everyone, hope you're well? Like most of you I've been going through old stuff in storage. This piece was in a box of oriental stuff I bought at auction. I'm not sure what to make of it?

Its hexagonal and is 11cm to the top of the lid, with a base diameter of 7cm.

Things I'd like to know are: Do you think it has any age? Is it transfer and hand painted? The main floral motif doesn't carry over to the other panels unlike the vines as you can see in the photos. And what type of flower is it? Looks like a sunflower to me. Starting to wonder if its even oriental?

If you could give me your thoughts/opinions on it or any feedback I would be most grateful, thank you!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Do you have a magnifying glass or loupe?
    Look closely if it is stenciled it will have dots. Hand painted you should be able to see brush strokes.

Probably newer Chinese in the last 10-20 years. Ginger jar.
    Value is decorative. A lot of people like blue and white accents.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The big flower might be a take off of a waterlily. In this instance, I don't think knowing the flower will help that much.
    upload_2020-4-11_15-1-57.png

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Oriental style, not old

5. Siblye

Siblye Active Member

Thanks guys. Checked it with a loupe and it's hand painted. Was curious about the flower as I've never seen this type on 'oriental style' ceramics.

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

looks like a clematis to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted