Featured Oriental jewllery, please help identify the pices, jade jewllery???

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got brooch number 2, the butterfly. They were also made by British companies. 1960s.

Earrings are gorgeous. Simona, you need a Sunshine Cloth.

Agree on the Czech glass.

I have a real 31, bought in Singapore, from memory. (Or was it Hong Kong?)

judy, Figtree3 and Simona Buhus like this.
  2. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

I can't say the bracelets are gold, or gold plated, or brass, I will have them tested and update you later on this week. I have bought them because they look nice and probably they are jade... I am not sure about the jade either. I will update with some photos a bit later, kids are hungry :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You lucky girl.:playful:

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I think you mentioned it before and it was Hongkong.:)

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Those are generally jade, even if the metal isn't gold.

judy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've lockdown brain, I tell ya. ;)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Join the club.:joyful:

judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hi, Simona. I took a look but all are really outside my area of knowledge. My eye was also caught by bracelet #31, but, as AJ has noted, the style is made both in precious materials & the not-so-precious.

judy, Any Jewelry and antidiem like this.
  9. Simona Buhus

Hi,
    I had a quick look, and the one that has green panels, number 31, it does not feel like jade, it has bubbles on the surface and it's not cold. The metal looks a bit worn off as well, maybe gold plated. @Any Jewelry was right, good hunch there.
    Number 33, says stainless still on the clasp, probabaly gold coloured metal.
    The only contender is no 32 in baracelts.
    The chain on no 27 feels like jade, it's cold, but the metal I doubt it's silver.
    Any idea what is the no 17? Feels cold .
    What about no 15 bracelets, the dragons?
    Thank you.
    @Bronwen
    @Ownedbybear

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

About #33, the word "vermeil" is used for gilded silver used in jewelry.

You have some nice items!

Simona Buhus, Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  11. Simona Buhus

@Ce BCA would you be so kind to look at 12 and 22 and 29, maybe share a translation of the words if you recognise them.
    Is the first time I am writting to you, I have seen you translated in the past, if I am not mistaken.
    Also, your comments are much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

1 Looks like Czech version of Peking glass.
    12 Looks like shou (longevity)
    22 is Fu (blessing)
    29 also looks like fu, but it's a bit small to be sure.
    26 Looks like a Japanese Satsuma ware button
    34 Another version of shou (longevity)

Very difficult to comment on the materials from images, if you don't have some expertise yourself to pick apart the tell tale signs it's best to have them tested. Some of the Chinese items may be gold mounted jade, or they could just be base metal and glass/stone.

13. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much for your reply, plenty to read now about "fu" and "shou", this has been very educational.
    I was not so much concearned about the metal, I just buy jewllery to lean, and this works out ok for me. I also decide on keeping some of what I buy. I enjoy learning the diffrent names, materials, age , design etc.
    The Japanese satsuma button, depicts two ladies, probabaly Gheishas, one of them painting with gold paint on paper, on top of a table, the other is watching her. The costumes are excusite, the hair is up and they have a clip like in the hair. There is another picture of something like a cloth bag on a table. It looks like one of the ladies has travelled to reach to this lady whom is painting. The color blue enhances this picture. It is not signed, but has a purple dot at the back. This is what I enjoy, looking at this type of art :)
    If you want yo see something close up, please let me know, I will upload pictures.
    Also, wanted to p8ck you brain if no 17 brings any bells, also the dragons bracelets on 15 look old, they have a coral in their mouth.
    Thank you again.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Probably not.;)
    Most ladies on Japanese art are simply Japanese ladies. Geisha is a specific profession, they are trained to entertain men.:rolleyes:
    One way to recognize a geisha is that they wear their kimonos differently, with the back of the collar pulled down to reveal the neck (seductive):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Bronwen, Figtree3, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  15. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

#15 aside from looking Chinese I can't provide anything else particularly useful, it doesn't look particularly old, the Chinese dragon festivals and boat races became popular in the 70's in the UK. As such there were many products in this style at the time, and it's commonly when many foo dogs etc were sold here, could be the same for jewellery.

#17 is too small for me to make out, a closer image might help.

AJ is correct, they are mostly regular women in such depictions, often mothers with children on larger pieces. When made up in this way they are often referred to as Bijin (beauties). Becoming a Geisha was a highly competitive and sought after role at the time, largely due to the status it conferred. Geisha culture still exists in Kyoto today, in a much more voluntary form of course.

16. Simona Buhus

Hello again,
    Sorry for the delay in replying to your message, I have small children :)
    I have managed to test number 22 brooch, and it's not silver, has a gold metal colour under the silver tone.
    To my suprise, the dragons on number 15 are silver, but 800, not 925.
    Please find attached photos for number 15 and 17.
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    @Any Jewelry
    @Ownedbybear
    @KSW
    @Bronwen
    Screenshot_20210610-173117_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210610-173135_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210610-173148_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210610-173159_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

What is the size of the disc?

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Simona Buhus

The disk is 5 centimiters, in inch is 2 inch.
    Also, the middle part revolves, turns round and round.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I don't think the mark in the disc is a standard character, it may be intended as a stylised form of one of the four good luck symbols though. Kind of hard to say for sure. Interestingly I've just come across one very similar in a local auction next week, they make no comment on what it is though:

Screenshot_1.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Simona Buhus

I can see a patten in the one you posted, two lines a P like shape, another two lines, a P like shape and one line, whereas on mine is random shapes. Can you recognize the middle? Are they Chinese letters?
    I have a feeling this is something to do with astrology, calendar or something.
    If you are biding for this lot I wish you good luck.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted