Oriental Markings on Picture

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bill Giles, May 18, 2020.

1. Archaic

Archaic *Archaic*

yes

2. Archaic

Archaic *Archaic*

yes

3. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

The three characters are 报春图 / Bao Chun Tu, or Announcing the Spring (picture) a common "name" for this kind of decorative pieces.

The chop is in seal script, and no, it's not an attempt to make it look older (if by that you mean an attempt to fake the age of the piece.) It's just the way / one of the styles of characters used in chops. Chinese artists treasure the many different styles of calligraphy, and chops are carved to look old, and often chipped on purpose to "age" them --- the intention though is to make them more appealing aesthetically, with a scholarly flair.

4. sparclette

sparclette Member

Can someone help me identify these or give me any information on the red seals? I’ve built these up over the last year and they’ve stumped me - especially the one that has two birds with their bellies facing one another, I’ve never seen that before. I’ll post pics here but it’s also in my media. Thank you in advance for any help. Slowly but surely trying to learn Japanese.

Attached Files:

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think you would get further with your question by starting a thread of your own and provide pictures of the works on which these signature seals appear in addition to the seals themselves.

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya.........help us , to help you !!

Draft saved Draft deleted