Featured Oriental Soapstone(?) Dragon Box - Octagon

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Barry Crouch, Dec 7, 2019.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry
    Did you notice the size and weight?

I'm more inclined to think it is a stone or plaster base that has been coated.

Barry, the piece in the museum is probably cinnabar.
    Do you remember how long ago your brother gave it to you?

Can you get a close up with better light of what you think is damage. Want to see what is under the coating.

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5889A2E5-3ADD-48FF-82C8-F9C58CF541BD.jpeg I don’t know what it’s made of, but maybe this is the makers mark?

3. taipan2

taipan2 Member

I agree with resin. I have sold many pieces made of this. I would have to see it to be sure. Think it is called Shoshaun. Spelling? The Asian stone carvers save the dust and waste from the carvings and then they crush it and mix it with resin and inject it under pressure in different forms I may be wrong but it looks like items I have had in the past.

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Interesting. So this dust would add to the weight and the color?

Barry Crouch likes this.
  5. taipan2

taipan2 Member

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the idea of resin being heavy, I use a small resin 'okimono' as a paperweight, it does a perfect job.:) This is a good quality resin.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  7. Any Jewelry

Shoushan stone?:)

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Agree with resin too, here is my resin
    box, bought new in a Vietnamese shop in France.
    26cm long 9cm wide.... 600 grams!
    20191208_201406.jpg 20191208_201445.jpg 20191208_201517.jpg

9. Any Jewelry

10. Barry Crouch

Barry Crouch Member

Okay... I was able to get the total weight; I dug out a scale I have never used before for mailing and the complete object fit on it nicely - 2 pounds 6.9 ounces.

The measurements, to the best I could get them, are just a shy of 5.25" i diameter (which, if they did use inches to make the piece... not "that" old, would be my guess) and just over 1.75" high, not including the "carved" dragon head, which rises above the rim.

I have Multiple pictures below. In one, I have taken a picture of two panels that show the same dragon carving, but with the variances I spoke of - each one is dissimilar. I found two areas that I perceive as damage ( sad face emoji here) which shows what I believe to be the inner material. As well, I took a picture of the inside of the lid again, but closer up, to where you can see what looks to be a pattern in the material. Also, as stated, if not visible in any of the pictures below, the base is a different color than the top - so, would this add to the "resin" likelihood?

Again, thank you ALL for your input!

(Oh, as to when I got it from my brother, it was about 4 years ago. He had, from what I remember, gotten it from an elderly gentleman in Thailand, or some part of Southeast Asia as a gift.) sbdiff.jpg sbmark.jpg SBWeight.jpg sbGrain.jpg SBDamage.jpg

11. Barry Crouch

Barry Crouch Member

One more quick note - there is a fair amount of detail tucked under the pieces that are seen from above. So, if it came from a mold of sorts, I don't know how this detail could be here, unless the dragon was placed onto the lid after it was completed and after the lid was completed; but I don't see any signs of this. sbdetail.jpg

12. Barry Crouch

Barry Crouch Member

kyratango and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I know you can pour resin into a silicone mold, though I have no idea what they made use to create these pieces.

Barry Crouch likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Using a silicone mold can produce detailed parts like your dragon......https://www.amazon.com/Mermaid-Aphr...MGJN06M8RTX&psc=1&refRID=Q5B1W7GQXMGJN06M8RTX

15. Barry Crouch

Barry Crouch Member

kyratango likes this.
  16. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The model for the mold was hand fabricated and not made by a precision computer operated carving machine,that is the difference.

17. Barry Crouch

Barry Crouch Member

I would think they could have "stamped" each of the eight panels with the same stamp - but what you are saying definitely makes sense. I have had it for about 4 years and thought it was a common (nothing special) piece until just recently; you are just telling me I was right to begin with! Thanks, Hollyblue, and All.

kyratango likes this.
  18. Barry Crouch

Barry Crouch Member

19. Any Jewelry

Here is another resin example which has detail tucked under, my faux okimono aka heavy resin paperweight:
    upload_2019-12-9_13-50-26.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-9_13-50-48.jpeg

Note the rope near the centre:
    upload_2019-12-9_13-51-6.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering, it is definitely resin, the bottom:
    upload_2019-12-9_13-52-25.jpeg

I sincerely apologize for the beheaded rat in the first pic.:sorry:

The technique of replicating fine detail has been around for some time, this piece was given to me ca 1980, when it was already second hand.

KikoBlueEyes and kyratango like this.
  20. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It is so well modeled! I love your bunch of rats:cat:

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted