Oriental Whatsit

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jun 23, 2021.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

I picked up this interesting pot. Design is worn. Stands 5" tall to the top of the lid. Opening is 1 1/4" and the base measures 2" across. Has 4 tiny handles on the side near the top.

chin1.JPG chin2.JPG chin3.JPG chin4.JPG chin5.JPG chin6.JPG chin7.JPG chin8.JPG chin9.JPG

Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

No idea if this is even close but something about it reminded me of some Sawankhalok pots so maybe Thai?

judy likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the piece in the core removable? Clearly has a specific use, but...?

judy likes this.
  4. kraftblue

Say I will look that up.

Bronwen, only the lid is removable.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. kraftblue

I was told this is a cricket cage!

Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. Bronwen

Well, it could certainly keep a cricket trapped, but the cricket cages I have seen look like little cages.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. kraftblue

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

That one would work fine as a cricket cage, but yours is significantly different, isn't it? There are perforations only up by the shoulders, so you couldn't see the cricket & the chirping would be...what? Muffled? Given an echo effect? That's if the cricket were in the body below the perforations.

But doesn't your item have something in the center made of solid metal that blocks access to other parts of the vessel? Or am I misreading the photo entirely? If you put a cricket down the neck, could it access all parts of the container?

Haven't seen her for the last day or so (worried emoji), but @Any Jewelry is our Peranakan expert.

9. kraftblue

Bronwen, This mostly is made from pottery/stoneware. There are perforations in the top in the brass and pottery.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

Anytime I see something even remotely like that I think of a censor, but you guys are the experts.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. kraftblue

Alynn have been looking at images, maybe it is a censer.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Censer was my immediate reaction. Then I thought it would be difficult to place & light the incense down inside, but stick incense might do just fine.

13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Is that it's natural color? It looks sooty, as if it's been through a house fire.

14. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

It might be Tibetan and not as old as it appears to be.

15. kraftblue

Darkwing, it's showing its age.

MT, I don't think its Tibetan. I have looked at a lot of pictures of censers and cricket cages. The inside is not burnt and doesn't smell like anything has been burned in it. I think it actually is a cricket cage.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted