Featured Origin, Age of Cowrie Shell and Black Bead Collar

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by OldWhitby, Nov 2, 2022.

1. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

Where is this from and what is its significance?
    The shells and beads are mounted on a rough leather backing. The shells are sewn on with the fibrous 'thread' you see on the back. The beads are strung on fine wires which are then attached to the backing with the same fibrous thread. The outside dimension is 9" not including the beaded triangles at the sides. The neck hole is 5" across.
    I found a similar piece on Etsy which used the vague description of 'Ethnogaphic African' - it only had 2 rows of Cowrie shells.

Image226.jpg Image227.jpg Image228.jpg Image229.jpg Image231.jpg Image232.jpg Image235.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup, I'd look towards Africa,
    a nice tourist item.
    without too much age..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's from Kenya, a Maasai beaded wedding neck piece, missing the strands of beads that are usually attached to the square tab, and hang down in front.

As Komo said, fairly recent tourist item, but "authentic," in style and construction.

4. OldWhitby

OldWhitby Anything Old

There is a tab of beads extending out from each side of the square piece. Would that be the equivalent?

5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

There are usually strings of beads that hang down, maybe a foot-and-a-half or two feet. I haven't seen the little beaded wires on the sides of the tab before. Maybe it's a "new style,"
    or just the maker adding her own creativity.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted