Featured Origin and age of small sweet grass? basket with seed pods

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Joan, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the origin and age-range of this basket (about 5.5"/14cm diameter)? I've seen the little grayish seed pods used in cheap necklaces. The bigger pods look kind of like jacaranda seed pods I've seen in California. I've searched online and haven't been able to find anything quite like it.

Basket-Sweetgrass-1.jpg Basket-Sweetgrass-1a.jpg Basket-Sweetgrass-2.jpg Basket-Sweetgrass-3.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thanks komokwa.

Bronwen likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I don't recognize it as a traditional form from anywhere. Most likely a crafter's work.

5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Yes; it does appear to be a pine-needle basket, and instructions for making those have been available for many years - I believe we have some members who make pine-needle baskets. There are some Southeast native groups who make them, in a style adopted from other countries; but this does not appear to match theirs in style.
    I'd agree that it is likely made by a craftsperson, perhaps in California.

Potteryplease likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not seeing pine needles.....but some species of long grass...

Joan likes this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The technique looks the same as crafters' pine needle baskets, but I agree the material in the coil is not pine needles. The wispy threads sticking out, in particular, are not characteristic of pine needles. There is a chance it is all raffia, which frays like that, and if tightly rolled can look like strands of grass. The fact that some is dyed makes me think it is more likely to be a commercially sold material like raffia.

Joan, komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  8. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It may not be dyed. Other than the odd purple bit which I'm not sure about, the color looks very much like Little Bluestem, a common native prairie grass. It can be tan to orangish to reddish to purplish.

Joan, Potteryplease and 2manybooks like this.
  9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've been busy all day, and didn't see the alert. Don't think I could add anything to what's already been pointed out (looks like a crafter's project, made from raffia), except that the little gray and tan seeds are "Jobs tears" and commonly found growing wild in the South Pacific and southeast Asia, and cultivated elsewhere.

The flat pods also look like a tropical seed pod, that I've seen before, but don't recall what it is called.

10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

When some of you mentioned raffia, I thought no way, but then decided I'd better google it and saw examples of natural raffia and realized it may very well be raffia. Some is definitely dyed a bright pink, but some looks more natural. I appreciate everyone's comments and opinions. And thank you Taupou for letting me know that the small seed pods are called "Jobs tears."

Basket-Sweetgrass-6.jpg

11. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

12. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Agreed, upon reflection; and as others have mentioned, done using the same technique as pine-needle baskets, with raffia likely as the binding material. The variety of origins for the added decorative bits inclines me even more to the craftsperson theory; those bits could easily be found at most craft-supply stores.
    Regardless of origin, it does have a certain charm.

komokwa and Joan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted