Origin of sterling clip or barrette - Native American?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by verybrad, Jan 8, 2016.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks Native American but I have my doubts due to how it is made. It is marked sterling in two places on the back. The only other mark is Made in France on the cheap metal clip. I assume this relates to the clip only. The blue stones are natural with variegation that does not show well in the pics. The red stone may be glass since it looks a bit too uniform to be coral. The clip is held on with two copper straps soldered to the silver face and just bent over to attach the clip. Seems like an odd way to attach it and not the highest quality construction. Overall length is 2 5/8". Seems a bit short for a barrette but maybe not.

Any ideas of origin? Other thoughts?

stuff1182.jpg

stuff1182a.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

well i see alot of these ''native american'' silver jewelery on ebay, dont know if the native americans are making them or if it is just the style, but they sell fairly well compared to what it is and what other single piece jewerlery sells for :) cant help with any info tho :sorry:

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

My thoughts - clips like that (just the clip part) can be found at many craft stores for those making their own hair thingies. Most all I have seen over the years do say Made In France but that could have changed over the years - may all be Made In China now, for all I know.
    And given that, I am not surprised at the method they used to attach this if it is a hand-crafted piece.

4. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Those copper straps are not uncommon ... I have a sterling concho belt with similar straps on the backs of each concho. Possibly a "shop-made" item made during the southwestern style craze during the 80's.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think someone converted this from a brooch.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. verybrad

Thanks for the input. I don't see anything very special here. Found one Navajo barrette using this same clip and it was also just attached with bent over straps. May list it once or twice and end up putting it in the scrap pile if it does not sell.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If you think about scrapping, please message me. ;)

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's not an unusual size for a barrette either. It was probably one of a pair rather than for use as a single hair clip.

9. verybrad

Addition to the scrap pile does not mean it will be imminently scrapped. I have a bunch of silver, including jewelry, that I am just holding for now. Hardly seems worth selling if all you can get is current scrap price. I would rather just hold it for now to see what the market does.

jackolin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted