Featured Origin of tiles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jefferies, Mar 14, 2020.

1. jefferies

jefferies Member

I am curious about the origin of these 15 x 15 cm tiles.

After consulting books on the identification of birds, I have concluded that they are Hooded Crows, whose distribution is chiefly in northern, eastern, and southeastern Europe

I thought that the red stamp on the back had a German look to it.

The tiles are said to have come from a demolished house in Sydney, Australia.

Having searched Google and Google Images in vain, I am hoping that somebody here can help me.

tiles.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is this C S?
    upload_2020-3-14_18-36-41.png

Very nice looking tiles.

aaroncab and kyratango like this.
  3. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I really like them...hope someone comes along to help ID !

4. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

I do know that tile appears in Jorge Selaron's work "Selaron Staircase" in Rio de Janeiro.

Over time as he continued to work on the staircase, he received ceramic tiles as a gift from travelers from all over the world and eventually began incorporating them into the staircase. One of which being your bird tile (Top Left one).

Here is a link to a bit of background behind the staircase artwork of his, and if you scroll down, you will come across your bird tile there.
    https://freewalkertours.com/selaron-staircase/

Jorge Selaron did not paint your tile, but did immortalise it, in his artwork.

Looking at your birds in the tiles, I'd say they are in the Corvidae family, such as crows, or ravens. So yes, the hooded crow looks the same to me also.

Sorry I couldn't actually be of any help towards actually identifying their maker.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  5. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

It looks to me a little like Royal Copenhagen syling

6. jefferies

jefferies Member

It looks like CS - possibly GS. The other two tiles show no such marks.

7. jefferies

jefferies Member

Thanks. That information about Jorge Selaron's work is amazing. How did you find it?

8. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

I just have an interest in art. I recall seeing the staircase long ago, so just thought I'd look through the tiles donated to see if it was amongst them. I've found a few others that way too.

9. Ision

Ision Member

Grip of these glazed tiles is definitely continental Europe and date from circa 1905, most likely a Belgian maker, but could be German. The grip (back) design is the key to making a specific determination of the tile maker, as most verso designs are specific.

Images appear to be transfer printed, then hand tinted with color, under glaze. The grip design being a lined grid with reserve is early 20th century.

J Dagger likes this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Very cool tiles!

Draft saved Draft deleted