Ornate Brass(?) Doorpulls, Where are they from?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Drewcyfer, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Drewcyfer

Drewcyfer New Member

I bought these at an Antique Fleamarket, I had to have them. No one knew anything about them, although I talked them down about half price. I was told they are brass, while they don't look it. They only seem to have one marking, an ST. stamped on the back. Very heavy, two parts each, about 15 inches tall by 4 inches wide. They look identical, but if you look closely there are differences not caused by usage, most notably the mans head is in a different position on each unit, dragon wings. I would love to see what I have acquired, they wont be for sale, I'm going to use them in my house. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!
    Google yielded nothing for me unfortunately. hi (8).JPG hi (5).JPG hi (3).JPG hi (2).JPG hi (1).JPG hi (9).JPG

Born2it, komokwa, Boland and 4 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ornate ....does not seem to do them justice...:playful::playful::playful:..:happy:

I like that the wear marks are almost identical.....!

as if one had to pull two doors open at the same time.....or they were on opposite sides of the same door............likely heavy too... or well trafficked ...?

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Congratulations...those are fantastic!

Born2it, komokwa and Drewcyfer like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Wow. Those are great! For French doors?

komokwa and Fid like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

They are 15 inches tall by 4 inches wide? That's incredible.

Curious where they were originally used, following this post. Very cool!

Born2it and komokwa like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could be French "laiton jaune" that has good mechanical properties.

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Ah. I was thinking inside use because my exterior handle has to be re-coated on occasion, while my matching interior ones don't. But better material would obviate the problem.

komokwa likes this.
  8. woofwoof

woofwoof Member

They look awesome. Keep in mind brass oxidizes bluish/green. Metal rusts. I think they're re modern reproductions. Any rust pits are a clear indication. The wear is that of the clear coat having been rubbed off. Scratch a test spot on the back with an awl and see if you see silver colored metal. Certainly wouldn't devalue them and I would proudly put them on my doors also. Really cool.

Born2it, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. woofwoof

woofwoof Member

70's-90's china or india

10. Drewcyfer

Drewcyfer New Member

Couple pics with less background blur...
    I see no signs of blue or green at all anywhere, only the goldish color underneath the silver color where wear by use occurred. On the back, in a hollow, someone seams to have sanded/scraped a 2 dime size area to see what's underneath, more of the golden hue coloration.
    Absolutely not a speck of rust on the entire piece.At least none I can see.

There seems to be three colors: The outer silver color, followed by a dark copper color, followed by a core of a lighter goldish color. Im not terribly familiar with the coloring stages of bronze so I cant correctly identify it. Im not seeing any clear coat on the metal anywhere.

komokwa likes this.
  11. Drewcyfer

Drewcyfer New Member

Not sure, the were by themselves hidden on a low shelf in the back. No one knew anything about them except they were old :bookworm:

KikoBlueEyes and komokwa like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They look ready and willing to go right back to work, is all I know. They'd sure dress up an old wardrobe, if there is a wardrobe to dress up.

13. woofwoof

woofwoof Member

In the last photo, I zoomed in on his stomach and it looks like rust pits, that's those brown spots , at least in the photo from what I can tell. The clear coat is worn off thats why his belly is shiny. Some shaded features are usually sprayed black ,all the high spots are buffed off, leaving behind the black in the recessed spaces of the casting, then the whole thing is clear coated (clear lacquer) to protect the brass or brass plating.

14. Drewcyfer

Drewcyfer New Member

I see what youre saying now, heres a couple shots even farther zoomed in. That makes sense! What do you think the metal make up is? copy 2.jpg copy.jpg

15. Drewcyfer

Drewcyfer New Member

There were already some scrape marks on the back on one side, I added a few to get down a little further, here are the results:

The undercolor seems to be silver, a little hard to tell, also seems to have a goldish tint to it.
    low101.jpg low212.jpg

16. woofwoof

woofwoof Member

OK, the silver is an indication of a base metal with a plating over it, like brass. If it was aluminum , it would be absent of rust. My guess is that it's "pot metal", which is an alloy of several different metals and easy to cast. They still look awesome and if I saw them I would of paid a couple hundred bucks for them for my doors. Someone else perhaps more or less, if you know what I mean. If they were mine I'd ask $400-600 and seewhat kind of response there was.

17. Drewcyfer

Drewcyfer New Member

Yes, def too heavy for aluminum. They were priced at 600, i paid 300. Very pretty, havent seen anything else like them-

Fid and komokwa like this.
  18. woofwoof

woofwoof Member

Not sure but I'd guess, Pakistan, China, or the ones I dealt with were made in India.

Drewcyfer likes this.
  19. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

Very cool!

Drewcyfer likes this.