Ornate Goblet (Jewish Kiddush Cup?) Odd hallmarks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Barn Owl, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

20171125_230112.jpg 20171125_230102.jpg 20171125_225931.jpg 20171125_230023.jpg 20171125_225844.jpg 20171125_225727.jpg I purchased this goblet a while back. Until tonight, I thought it was silverplate over copper, but when I finally polished it, the copper tone came off and I realized that it had just been tarnish. I've tried searching for the marks, to no avail. Because of the grapes, I wonder if it might be a Kiddush cup? The hallmarks are very worn, and I can't find them online. One appears to be a C or worn face inside a circle, while the other are some letters inside a triangle. Possibly Cyrillic. Пs? It doesn't look like the english n. I don't have a silver tester, so I don't know if it's plated or not. Could the C be a Dutch date code?

Any thoughts on age or origin?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hummm.
    I'm going to be of little help...other than it's nice enough...:)

I see nothing to suggest a Jewish vessel of any kind...
    I don't see Hallmarks....only a makers mark...with what could be a copyright....although....??
    I see nothing to suggest any actual silver...even plated.....so I'm thinking...ahhh...nickel...??
    & as for age........I don't see any.....:(

4 yer sake Barn....I hope someone can shoot me down.....
    but...I gotta call em , as I see em !!;)

real kiddush cups...

IMG_2331.JPG

3. Barn Owl

Thanks Komokwa. :)

I think it's just the grapes that make me think Kiddush cup. There's no Hebrew. I figured it was a shot in the dark haha.

Weird to see a copyright mark on a goblet. This is the first time I've seen a mark that looks like one. Does nickel tarnish?

judy likes this.
  4. Ruth

Ruth Member

At the auctioneers I work for we don't treat any goblet/candelabra/pair of candlesticks as Jewish unless it has provenance or bears some mark to indicate it was in use for these purposes.

Barn Owl and judy like this.
  5. Barn Owl

I don't plan to sell it as being Jewish. I was just musing if it might be. Since there were multiple fruit hanging it also slightly reminded me of a Sukkot sukkah.

Ruth likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nickel is an inexpensive metal that resists tarnishing and gives the appearance of silver and other more expensive metals. Nickel does have some problems, however. Many people are allergic to the metal, which can cause rashes and other problems, and nickel will tarnish over time, especially if exposed to moisture.

I could not wear my sterling high school ring.....the nickel in it rotted my finger...:(

Barn Owl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted