Other Thrift Finds: Goodies! And Questions

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Mar 12, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

I scored in the jewelry departement today, lots of silver. All of this was 5 euros for the lot.

Starting with this lapis, 925, and pearl (?) necklace. Its got a magnetic clasp. I don't think its particularly old, but is this actually a pearl? Its got a very 'micro' grit to it with the teeth test, unlike other pearls I've tested. There is significant damage to it, thankfully hidden by the spacers when worn, but it lets you see inside the pearl. I'm thinking its real, but want to make sure before it goes up for sale.

IMG_20240312_173714.jpg IMG_20240312_173236.jpg

Next up, I came across this mystery piece and the lady at the stand didn't know either. It had a 1e tag on it, and I had a feeling it was silver. I found the 925 mark on the spacers when I got it home! Google lens says this is a tesbih/mala, Islamic 'worry' beads? If there's more to know about this I'd love to hear it.

First pic is a bit dark.
    IMG_20240312_174908.jpg IMG_20240312_174915.jpg IMG_20240312_174922.jpg IMG_20240312_175055.jpg

This is probably modern, but I'd like to know what sort of ethnic this is? Or is this just in the style? I need some key words for the listing haha. I'm assuming a low grade silver, but I have yet to test it.

IMG_20240312_175311.jpg
    IMG_20240312_175145.jpg

And a couple of cloisonne bangles. I assume modern, but maybe?

IMG_20240312_175544.jpg IMG_20240312_175608.jpg

Dessert58 and komokwa like this.
  2. RachelW

I maxed out photos lol.

IMG_20240312_175617.jpg

Ty all! <3​

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That would be my guess. Hindu rather than Islamic. AJ will have a firmer view.

Afraid the lapis looks like glass to me.

Any Jewelry and RachelW like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A very nice modern tesbih. A lot of these nice silver ones are made in Turkey, which doesn't mean this one is, but it could be.
    Not ethnic in a traditional way, but made in India.
    Chinese, probably mid 20th.

5. RachelW

Oh dear I forgot about that. I'll have to do some more research.

Thank you @Any Jewelry! Appreciated as always.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I figured the lapis for real stone that's had the bejeebers dyed out of it. Really good imitation lapis glass looks much prettier, and also much more regular in color.

RachelW and Bronwen like this.
  7. RachelW

Yay for real boo for dyed. I forgot lapis can be dyed lol. Oh well, its a nice little thing and sits nicely on the neck so I shouldn't have too much trouble shifting it. I'll go with dyed lapis and pearl? i'm pretty sure its the real deal.

8. Any Jewelry

I must say, it looked like glass to me too. Could be the photos, which are excellent as such, but maybe taken with artificial light?

RachelW likes this.
  9. RachelW

Heres a photo I just took in the bright sunlight (finally a sunny day!)

Does this help?
    imresizer-1710346960415.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

It does, it looks much better now.:)
    I am not seeing dyed, so I would say natural lapis lazuli, probably from India but assembled somewhere else.

Bronwen and RachelW like this.
  11. RachelW

Oh joy! Thanks very much AJ, great to hear! 1 euro mwhahaha cant beat that!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. evelyb30

I'm seeing confirmation of the dye. If you look, you can see gray bits in the stone; that indicates dye. Tons of pyrite too in odd blobs, so not high grade stones either way.

Dessert58 and Satin In A Coffin like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

So there are. I guess that is calcite, originally white. The beads aren't uniform in colour, that is what I was looking for.
    You can test it with acetone to see if any dye comes off.

14. evelyb30

I like "denim lapis", the blue and white, but best guess dyed sells for more money.

Draft saved Draft deleted