Featured Oxfam Shops in the UK ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Apr 11, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

We're planning on a trip to UK & the Continent in a year.Are the UK Oxfam Shops worth hitting or are they overpriced 'for profit' venues ?
    Thanks for the tips & insights.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Most chain charity shops in the UK have people who go through donations before they are put out, so good finds are rare. Smaller independent charity shops are usually better. In general charity shop finds in the UK are disappointing.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That said... To an American, their wares can be unusual and interesting because they're different than what's to be found in the U.S.

Debora

silverbell, pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Also worth finding a store that sells British junk food and having a go at that too.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And chocolate bars!

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. evelyb30

Well yeah! What else?

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oxfam are excellent for books, a bit overpriced on most other things but they miss stuff. I find hospice shops are often pretty good. Or smaller tattier shops.

I’d not agree that they’re generally disappointing, I’ve found some amazing stuff. The so called experts have no clue if things aren’t signed. As in, a pair of miniature Minton by Christopher Dresser vases for three quid and a howlingly rare Whitefriars lilac vase. They overprice the ordinary, like Wedgwood Jasper.

KSW, kentworld, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

It's the same here. The shop I've mentioned finding gold in also sold me a Baccarat vase, signed, for US$19.50. They research stuff but blew by the mark. It happens in other stores too.

9. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

One hint: our "antiques" are considerably younger than those in Britain. Hence, finding certain charming old things is much easier than one would think. Hence, my silver English coffee pot. And hence, my Dutch tea caddy. :smuggrin: And hence, my rare, incredible, Pears Soap poster, titled, "A Healthy Appetite." I call it "Elderly Gentleman with Sunday Roast," and it is one of my most cherished antiques!

KSW and kentworld like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

My house is a couple of years off being antique.

silverbell and KSW like this.
  11. evelyb30

An "old house" where I live predates WWII; in Britain and parts of Europe I'd bet they start being old if they date to about the time of George III!

KSW likes this.
  12. bosko69

We were in London for our 40th Anniversary in an extraordinary flat on the Chelsea Embankment-made our little ranch house look a bit pale.
    Our backyard was the The Chelsea Royal Hospital (Chelsea Flower Show). Our first night there I accidentally yanked the brass off an 18th century desk :arghh: (that's why they invented chewing gum !).
    Rt around the corner up Tite St. was Singer Sargent's & Oscar Wilde's houses & 2 G.Ramsey restaurants.
    We were so tired at the end of each very long day we just grabbed food & drink at the Tesco Express-damn fine junk food & microwave munch.
    Mr. Dresser-one of my heroes,Some of Dresser's work transcends time-
    Dresser II.jpg
    MINTON DRESSER.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  13. Ownedbybear

I walk past a house built in around 1340 ish every day. Or at least, that's its earliest written record, but the timbers are 11th and 12th C.

KylieS and silverbell like this.
  14. evelyb30

Pushing 1000 years old probably. Still holds people. Not sure I'd want the wiring though, or the job of rewiring it for modern usage.

silverbell likes this.
  15. bosko69

That's the truly magical abt UK & Europe to us Yanks ! -'This area's Gothic,this bits Norman,now lets go down into the basement and see the Roman Sections'.
    Like I said before-in the first few months of the big Lockdown-I watched all 10 or 20 Seasons of 'Time Team'.
    Saved me from goin' nuts.

16. evelyb30

Around here the only thing from the Roman era are some burn marks and traces of post holes, the Natives not being into using stone to make buildings.

17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe aim to visit some of the big antiques fairs or if you are prepared to search for bargains and treasures then some of the big car boot sales are well worth a visit on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Our local one can have hundreds of sellers but you have to get there early!

18. bosko69

It doe take a lot of 'shoe leather' and Advil.

KSW likes this.
  19. evelyb30

So does grocery shopping these days. :hurting::hurting::hurting::hurting:

KSW likes this.
  20. bosko69

We check grocery sales online now,then start the expedition-my pards amazingly good at cyber coupons.yep-grocery & medicare premiums are no joke for the u.s. seniors.
    in addition to dealers jacking their prices/mediocre inventory,fuel prices also kill the picking expeditions.

KSW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted