Featured Pablo Picasso Au Lapin Agile Sotheby's Auction Advertising Poster

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 2, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this yesterday at my local thrift store - I liked it not only because it's a Picasso, but the way the colors pop & also the subject (sitting in a bar with a lady friend is usually fun but he looks miserable & she looks bored!).
    It's also an unusual shape for a poster; almost square 21.5" x 22.5" and whoever had it framed did so with real glass.
    All these things made me think I may have found something, but when I got home and I searched for Picasso Au Lapin Agile Sotheby's art auction advertising poster, but only found some print on canvas of the artwork + a Sotheby's auction catalogue that it was on the cover of.
    Is this rare/unusual?
    How many of these would Sotheby's make - and where would they go? (I can't see them in the window of a shop and thought maybe they were a small printing that they put around the auction house where it was being sold for TV camera glimpses?)
    Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks all!

ART POSTER PABLO PICASSO AU LAPIN SOTHEBYS AUCTION ADVERTISING POSTER 1AA.JPG ART POSTER PABLO PICASSO AU LAPIN SOTHEBYS AUCTION ADVERTISING POSTER 2AA.JPG ART POSTER PABLO PICASSO AU LAPIN SOTHEBYS AUCTION ADVERTISING POSTER 3AA.JPG ART POSTER PABLO PICASSO AU LAPIN SOTHEBYS AUCTION ADVERTISING POSTER 4AA.JPG

Boland, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

3. journeymagazine

Unusual website!

kyratango likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've done a little searching but haven't found any further information on this poster. Then tried to look for information on posters issued to advertise auctions. I found some, but not from Sotheby's. This gets into the general category of how auction houses advertise their sales.

kyratango and Boland like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It doesn't help at all, but I have the auction catalog. It was a big deal for them - hard cover, single item:
    Dscn3698.jpg

It has this photo of the café. That's the proprietor, Frédé, on the right with his guitar. (Photo can be found online.) Looks to me like he's the guy in the background of painting. Picasso's painting hangs on the wall in the background of the photo:
    Dscn3703a.jpg

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very interesting. Thanks!

kyratango, Boland and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very cool photo!

kyratango and moreotherstuff like this.
  8. journeymagazine

Hard to believe there's not more of these for sale or have sold - but better for me I guess!
    Thank you!

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It is important to remember that just because something is rare doesn’t automatically mean that it is valuable.

kyratango, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  10. journeymagazine

I've learned that!
    Thanks Mark Lindon!

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted