Featured Painting By John Wilson

Discussion in 'Art' started by CGP, Nov 10, 2017.

1. CGP

CGP New Member

I have a painting of flowers by 'John Wilson'. Got it cheap from an antique shop that was closing down. It is an oil on board and looks very old. Can you help provide any information about the artist. Painting 2a.jpg Painting 2b.jpg Painting 2c.jpg Painting 2d.jpg 23030612_10159623275750158_752512199_o.jpg

2. CGP

CGP New Member

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, CGP, and welcome!

Well, that link does say "The artist was a fellow of the Royal Scottish Academy and also a member of the Royal Watercolour Society" and that the painting shown was ca.1920.

If the info given is correct, maybe you could use it to track him down.

4. CGP

CGP New Member

Thanks. I did already try to search with that information but I couldn't find anything. Also contacted the auctioneer who said they were not allowed to give out any information. This had made me wonder if the information written here was correct or not.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They were not allowed to give out any information about the artist? That does sound strange to me.

I like the painting. It looks as if it could benefit from a cleaning, though.

6. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

Love the colors of that work. Think it would look great in a modern frame. If you're curious about the auction price, you could go on a website like Arcadja and if you pay for a one day pass, around 10 dollars, you can see how much his other work sold for at that auction.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Careful here. Those two paintings do not appear to be by the same painter. The UK painting is of far better quality than your painting.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  8. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

Your artist's signature looks to me more like Joan Wilson. Here is the (blurry) signature of artist Joan Wilson on another painting and the signatures seem to be somewhat similar:

JoanWilsonSig.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I thought "Joan" too.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. CGP

CGP New Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Personally, with a close visual comparison, I don't see the two signatures being one and the same, especially since I'm not sure if it's JOHN or JOAN.......example below: also, the top one is more "Italic" than the other.....JMHO's 2 cents worth!!!! Auction painting's siggy is much more 'crisp' with thinner letters as well!

zzPainting 2daa.jpg

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree. John Wilson signature much more controlled as is his work.

Debora

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, either I wasn't supposed to post what I did, OR, forgetful me forgot to hit POST REPLY!!!!! Will try again!!!! What I had said was, that, on close proximity visual inspection (from images posted), it did not appear that the two signatures were the same!!!!! Example below:
    I'm not sure if CGP's says JOHN or JOAN, and has a somewhat "Italics" slant to it. The Auction signature appears MUCH more 'fine' and 'crisp'.....IMHO, I don't believe they are one and the same......just my 2 cents worth.....FWIW!!!!

zzPainting 2daa.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted