Painting identification

Discussion in 'Art' started by Eliakiim, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Eliakiim

Eliakiim New Member

I bought this at an estate sale and want to see if I can get a better approximation of timeframe and artist. Thanks!
    upload_2022-4-15_20-46-8.jpeg upload_2022-4-15_20-49-30.jpeg upload_2022-4-15_20-50-47.jpeg upload_2022-4-15_20-50-59.jpeg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wonder if that's not meant to be the Bay of Naples at night. A popular subject.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg

Boland likes this.
  3. Eliakiim

Eliakiim New Member

I can see some similarities, for sure. Any stab at a guess for timeframe and the possible signature?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, you think that's a signature in red? First letter V? Sturdy oak frame. If painting same age, I'd think late 19th/early 20th century. Let's see what others think.

Debora

5. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

I would agree with Deborah on rough date , possibly Dutch ?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Terrain looks a bit hilly for Holland.

Debora

7. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

I meant possibly Dutch as in artist not necessarily Holland landscape

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Eliakiim, are you actually seeing hints of a signature somewhere, or am I losing my vision???

9. Eliakiim

Eliakiim New Member

@Aquitaine I thought the closest thing to a signature was the second image. It looks like a red V with a couple horizontal lines close by.

10. Aquitaine

It's a good thought, @Eliakiim, and sometimes I can lighten where there may be a signature, (age can darken and hide a potential signature or date on a painting!) but I saw NOTHING else other than that V, after trying.....but that's just me too!!

Boland likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

@Eliakiim, just so you see MY process, I'll take where there's a possibility of a signature, lighten it a bit, then invert it and see if there's anything there to enhance...with the top image being the last. AND, keeping in mind that artists will re-use old canvasses as well!!! I just couldn't find anything significant or viable......

NO SIGNATURE.jpg

12. Gary Berry

Gary Berry Member

That’s interesting

13. Eliakiim

Eliakiim New Member

@Aquitaine Fascinating and thanks for the tip! Do you have a stab at the value before cleaning, repairs, etc?

14. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I suspect that conservation would be about what the painting is worth.

15. I think Debora is correct. When you examine the mountains in the back ground the peak on the left is flatter than the one on the right. This is indictive of Mount Vesuvius.

16. Eliakiim

Eliakiim New Member

17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Your gallery posted pictures are set to Private, @Eliakiim . You need to change them to Public for anyone other than you to see them.

18. Aquitaine

Sorry @Eliakiim, but I'm SO not good at even trying to take a stab trying to value a painting!! I'm better at picking them apart with Photoshop & a couple of other programs!!

You might have your gallery photos set to Private....I couldn't view them!!!

19. Eliakiim

Eliakiim New Member

@Aquitaine I adjusted the view if you wouldn't mind taking a stab at that nagging signature

20. Eliakiim

Eliakiim New Member

Adjusted!

Draft saved Draft deleted