Painting of Elephant, etc; semi-psychedelic dated 1967 - name??

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeff Drum, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Doing some sorting, so starting with the paintings in the worst shape (at highest risk of being discarded). This large ~34inch painting has some pretty obvious "condition" issues (although torn, the canvas is all there, so it is repairable, but only if worth the cost). Psychedelic may not be the word, but the colors and very happy and playful elephant look appropriate for 1967 to me. Seems to be french.

I tried to search the name, but that apparently isn't my forte since I couldn't find anything. Or else its an amateur so nothing to be found. What do you think?

P9071626.JPG P9071625.JPG P9071624.JPG P9071628.JPG P9071627.JPG

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Jeff Drum

Cool! I was so obsessed with trying to find the name that I didn't even think about the title. And what I assumed was the artist riffing with the elephant's trunk is apparently the way he really looks. So the only semi-psychedelic part would be the blocks of colors (and the year 1967).

aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I like it - too bad about the condition.

Bronwen, Jeff Drum and judy like this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Thank you. Your wikipedia link was interesting, this sculpture was featured in the 1952 Italian neorealist film Umberto D (a really nice film available for free on Roku if anyone is interested), famous enough for Ingmar Bergman to say "Umberto D. is... a movie I have seen a hundred times, that I may love most of all." So maybe enough of a cultural icon to have inspired the painting (rather than just being a jazzed up tourist painting?)

Do you see any name besides "Lansetta" or "Lansetto"? (Couldn't find either at askart.com)

Without a name, I guess it has no resale value, and I'm thinking I could instead use it to test my skills at repairing a torn canvas? Does anyone have experience and material list for this?

Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The building in the background is Santa Maria sopra Minerva. It is a Dominican (order) church built on the ruins of a Minerva temple, hence the name. It is close to the famous Pantheon.

Santa Maria sopra Minerva is one of the few Roman churches with a mostly Gothic interior, which is why it was always my refuge in Rome when I needed to get away from all those Roman Baroque statues, to avoid Stendhal syndrome.:wacky:

reader, Bronwen and Jeff Drum like this.
  7. Jeff Drum

reader and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think it might be Lansetto. Even if correct, absolutely useless for searching since auction says Lansetta.

Jeff Drum likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted