Featured Pair Gump's Green Stone Screw-Back Earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Mar 3, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

These are each marked GUMP'S on the convex portion of the closure (opposite the screw post) but I can find no other marking. Note that the two stones aren't identical in their carving, nor their outline; the back panels that supports the 4 mounting prongs were custom cut to fit each stone. Also, pic 9 shows a hole in the edge of the stone that doesn't go clear through...the other has a similar hole, but in a different location on its edge.
    Are they salvage (older?) stones? They aren't opaque, but somewhat translucent. They're ~1/2" diameter an' ~ 1/8" thick. I would like to believe they're nephrite or jadeite; an' while I'm wishing, that the mounts an' screw-backs are vermeil...but as they're unmarked that may be a stretch.
    When were screw-backed earrings pretty much obsoleted? What are the possibilities for the type of stone, an' for the mount materials? Any an' all comments an' opinions are most welcome. Thanks for lookin'!

P1400443.jpeg P1400442.jpeg P1400441.jpeg P1400446.jpeg P1400447.jpeg P1400448.jpeg P1400449.jpeg P1400440.jpeg P1400445.jpeg

KSW, Dessert58, Bronwen and 8 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

look like gold and jade , from here...;)

Bronwen, kyratango, lovewrens and 6 others like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

KSW, Bronwen, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  4. wlwhittier

To me as well...but even old, an' even if made overseas...why not marked? That would be, in this specific case, the $640 question!

5. komokwa

could the screw placement be hiding a mark ???

charlie cheswick and wlwhittier like this.
  6. wlwhittier

Do you mean beneath the Gump's mark, on the mount back? Could be, I suppose...but how would a fella know?

komokwa likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Gump's was a luxury goods store renown for both its Chinese imports and its jewelry department. I would be very surprised if they weren't jade and gold. And they very well be old carvings repurposed. 1950s from the looks of them.

Debora

KSW, Dessert58, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  8. wlwhittier

Thanks, Debora...that's music to my ears!

KSW, kyratango and stracci like this.
  9. komokwa

and that glob of gold.....holding the screw ons.....may be covering marks that were not understood at the time....

just sayin

stracci, johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Maybe they were a custom order repurposing the old carvings? And therefore not stamped as to gold content? I'd establish the metal content if you are selling, if gold they could even be 18K. I don't think it's a deal breaker that they aren't marked, but you should determine what the metal is.

As others have stated, Gumps was a very high quality store, and that name adds a premium. I think you have a winner with these.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    KSW, kyratango, stracci and 2 others like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Gumps luxury goods ?

bet they had a nice.......box......a..........chocolates

12. wlwhittier

Could be, komo...but to sell it on eBay I gotta be able to say with with assurance what the stone is, an' what the metal is.
    I am reasonably confident the stone is sea-foam or apple jade. There's a high probability the metal is at least vermeil, if it isn't a gold alloy...I'm gonna let my jeweler squint at it, an' then go from there.

kyratango, Lucille.b, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Gump's had buyers who would buy vintage and antique pieces in China and repurpose them. They dealt with the highest quality. Here's more information about the store.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump's

Debora

kyratango, Lucille.b, stracci and 3 others like this.
  14. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Oooh! Gumps!
    A very good name in jewelry.
    Another great find, @wlwhittier !

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I had those I'd wear them - no holes here.

Yup.Same here.

I was going to say it's under a finger. Most earrings in that style were marked on the loop of metal that went under the ear. Sometimes on the back of the screw mechanism. Sometimes on the front where it moves forward and the screw part hits the back of your ear. I can't see Gump's of all companies letting these loose unmarked. If they were vermeil or gold-filled they'd be marked for that too.

Dessert58, wlwhittier and kyratango like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

wlwhittier and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

I gave my daughter 3 heart shaped amethysts , when she was doing jewelry....

haven't seen them since.......:(

wlwhittier and Bronwen like this.
  18. wlwhittier

Well, folks...I'll get out the loupe an' look even more closely than I have for hints about the metal...but I am considerably heartened by your various agreement that these aren't costume. I'll see my jewelry Guru tomorrow, an' report back on his judgement, right here.
    Thank you all, very much!

Bronwen, Dessert58 and komokwa like this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Gump's didn't sell costume.

Debora

Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

By 1973, when even my mother had had her ears pierced.

wlwhittier likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted