Featured Pair of Chinese salts? - makers mark etc. help?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Eils14, May 23, 2020.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I am looking into these for a family friend and she thinks they are Chinese salts, although only one still has its glass lining. I am presuming they are silver, so hopefully asking in the right thread!

Can anyone help with the makers mark, age and if there is any value in them for her? I am presuming there may be no value, apart from possibly scrap value, given their condition but not being an area I know anything about I thought it best to check.

TIA

chinese.JPG chinese1.JPG chinese3.JPG chinese4.JPG chinese5.JPG chinese6.JPG

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

If I wanted to get the best price for these, I'd remove the liner, polish them up a bit (they are silver) and list them as a pair of 19thc miniature Chinese silver vases.

3. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you, this sounds like a good plan....looks like I have some cleaning to do! :)

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I don't think altering them is a good idea. Anyone who wants these is going to know they were altered and I think it will reduce the value. By all means, polish them.

5. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you, will do. :)

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

And let us see them when they're all shined up!

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think you are giving potential buyers of these articles far more credit than they deserve - on eBay for instance, the buyers will buy any and all Chinese silver items regardless of whether they have an idea of their former use and I doubt that many people could identify these as salts.
    IMO, having no liners in them will give the impression of a complete pair rather than something with "a bit missing".

Just my opinion of course.;)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    patd8643 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted