Featured Pair of Green Cased Glass Vases - can they be ID's

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suzy60us, May 14, 2016.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

pair green vases 007.JPG Good Morning!

I just came from a local Garage/Estate Sale. Green and white cased glass vases measure 10 inches high. Where do I begin looking? pair green vases 009.JPG

pair green vases 010.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Might be decanters missing stoppers instead of vases.

Key words for search:

Green cut to opaque
    Cut to opaque
    Honeycomb

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be looking at Bohemia/czechoslovakia. Decent quality.

judy and lauragarnet like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd be looking..........for two more in orange or purple.....they're funky cool !!!:):)

judy, pearlsnblume and lauragarnet like this.
  5. Suzy60us

Thank you for your hints and comments. I stayed up way past my bedtime trying to find another one like these. No luck. My knowledge of glass is limited. This is not cut like say coin dot or Bohemian Glassware. They are Mid Century.

judy and lauragarnet like this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

These were blown into a spot mold like 90% of the dot etc items. I am thinking Czech or mainland Italy/ However do not rule out China some of there work is very nice.

judy, aaroncab and lauragarnet like this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

It appears to me that these were cased green over white, blown into molds. the cut to white, not spot molded. Look at the last image. those are concave (overlapping) cuts.
    No guess on source, however.

judy, cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  8. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Here are some things I found searching for faceted, facet cut glass, cased, opaque, hexagon, pentagon, etc. I have no first hand knowledge, so can't vouch for any of the descriptions.

chinese-hexagon-facet-cut-opaque-cased-glass-vase.jpg
    Via: brilliantglass.com
    8. Opaque Colored Glass Cut-To-Opaque Colored Glass: Two Layers, Two Colors
    Objects such as this vase of opaque colored glass (blue) cut-to-opaque colored glass (white) are usually attributed to China. Dating is uncertain, but most examples are probably from the twentieth century, with many made as recently as the post-World War II years. The glass is non-lead and is lighter in weight than what one might expect. Overlays are thick, with opaque blue and opaque green appearing most often. Cuttings are often imprecise and designs undistinquished. In these respects the present example is unusual, showing an effective overall design of hollow hexagons that has been produced with care. (Similar blanks, with two or more colors — as well as a single color — were also used to produce so-called Peking glass where vessels, especially snuff bottles, were cut using the cameo technique. Today this Chinese cameo glass is most often seen on small vases and bowls that depict butterflies, flowers, and other vegetation in opaque red against an opaque white background.)

Vase. H = 10.5″ (26.7 cm), max D = 5.5″ (14.0 cm), wt = 2.0 lb (0.9 kg). Base ground flat and polished. Non-lead glass. Sold for $150 in 1993.

chinese-hexagon-facet-cut-opaque-cased-glass-jar-no-02.jpg
    Via: Mroczek Brothers Seattle Auction House
    Description Lot 99, Live Auction, Oct 30, 2014, Sold $300.00
    Antique Chinese Green Peking Glass Ginger Jar 7.5''x6.5''. Faceted cut two-color jar emerald green to white. Excellent condition. Qing dynasty.

chinese-hexagon-facet-cut-opaque-cased-glass-jar.jpg
    Via: Jackson's jacksonsauction.com May 18th-19th, 2010
    Lot 595 A CHINESE PEKING GLASS TWO COLOR LIDDED JAR, QING DYNASTY. Of spherical form in white opaque glass and cut with a multi faceted windows design. Height 7.25 inches (18.5 cm).
    Estimate: $1,200 - 1,800 € 900 - 1,350 unsold

chinese-hexagon-facet-cut-opaque-cased-glass-bead-peking.jpg
    Via: Dmitry Levit Asian Art on Trocadero.com
    19c Peking glass FACETED BEAD $125.00
    Unusual 19th century Peking glass faceted good size bead. Milky white body with green color overlay, very clearly carved facets revealing the color of the body. Very nice old piece in excellent condition, beautiful patina. Diameter 15/16 inches.
    http://www.trocadero.com/stores/dmitry/items/1248176/item1248176store.html

9. lauragarnet

chinese-hexagon-facet-cut-opaque-cased-overlaid-glass-vases-cmog.jpg
    Via: Corning Museum of Glass
    Place Made: China, Date: about 1960-1980, Accession Number 88.6.16

Primary Description
    "Opaque white and translucent bright turquoise non-lead glasses; blown, overlaid, cut. Tall, ovoid forms; blue overlaid on white; cut, waisted, white necks with flared rims, edged in blue; the insides of the rims with cut chamfers; cut ledges at the bases of the necks, rimmed in blue; the side cut in an all-over pattern of hexagonal facets, showing white ovals at the center of each facet; gently flared bases; polished flat bottoms, with polished concave pontil marks; inscribed (acid-etched) three Chinese characters in the centers of the pontil marks."

No Picture, vase-982,
    Primary Description (Describes green vase with paper lables)

Opaque white and translucent dark green non-lead glasses; blown, overlaid, cut. Tall, ovoid forms; green overlaid on white; short, waisted neck with flared rim, polished chamfer on the inside, green band on the rim; cut ledges below the neck, leaving green edges; the sides cut in an all-over pattern of linked hexagonal facets, with tall, pointed flutes at the bottom, the green mostly cut away to leave white ovals within the hexagonal facets; rounded base rim; polished foot rim and concave pontil mark; three paper labels, two blackened and unreadable, the third oval, printed "MADE IN / CHINA".

plaid423, judy and desperate_fun like this.
  10. Suzy60us

Wow ! You are all amazing ! Thank you so very much.
    I cannot believe your research skills.
    Sue

judy likes this.
  11. lauragarnet

A red one from an auction in Amsterdam .
    chinese-hexagon-facet-cut-cased-glass-round-bowl-red-Marked-Guangxu-nianzhi.jpg
    Don't know how it ended, but at least we know they come in red, too.
    Description says "Marked Guangxu nianzhi" but not pic.

Lot 237, Estimate: 700 EUR - 1,000 EUR, Lot closed: 14 Dec 2015, Auctioneer: AAG Arts and Antiques Group, Amsterdam
    A bulbous Beijing glass vase China, 19th/20th century The coral red top layer cut off in three rows of facets. With wide neck. Marked Guangxu nianzhi. H. 6 cm

[​IMG]
    Candlesticks, Hurricanes and Lamps - Handmade Frosted White Glass Vase With Green Glass Exposed Circles

judy likes this.
  12. Suzy60us

It was such a pleasant surprise to find your responses this morning. I was in a hurry to leave for my "Grandma Job", helping my Daughter- in- Law with three month old twins.
    This evening I was able to study the examples and find others that showed the bottoms. There is a difference in the bottoms, I am going with the 1960 to 1980 period that the Corning Museum stated.
    Thanks again, Sue

13. Kay Val

Kay Val New Member

14. komokwa

u sure about that......i'm not seeing the same style of base...?

upload_2021-1-3_2-20-51.jpeg

15. Ownedbybear

Battuto is the term for the "carved" effect rather than the base treatment.

komokwa and judy like this.
  16. komokwa

Oh..OK.. I thought it was the maker, & the member had added something important to a long dead thread.....but I couldn't find that same base ..:yawn::meh:

17. Ownedbybear

komokwa likes this.
  18. komokwa

that's why i asked the member.............r u sure ?

hoping to stem the tide of erroneous id..

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted