Featured pair of iris green drip glaze jars with stoppers

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by charlie cheswick, Mar 6, 2020.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

anyone have an idea where and when these jars (6") could have been made

cant find anything about dear old iris gawd bless her n all

wondered what they were supposed to be used for

any thoughts appreciated

i1.jpg i2.jpg i3.jpg i4.jpg i5.jpg

sabre123, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

IMHO, these 2 items were done by a hobbyist crafter perhaps even a "student" The way the name is inscribed on the bottom and on the stopper indicates hobbyist piece that was fired in a shop community kiln. The owner would mark all the pieces so he/she could claim her pieces. The glaze being all over also points towards hobbyist as does the type of glaze, which is referred to as crystalline. The glaze had chunks in it when it was applied that melted during the firing process to form the lighter areas.

The pieces were probably never intended for actual use, more for decor than anything.

3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

very informative thank you, all seems to make sense as well

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Active Member

Yes, I agree with this explanation.:happy:

charlie cheswick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted