Featured Pair of Original Mary Gregory Glass Vases - Sandwich Glass - Value ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RLM Stamps, Mar 1, 2021.

1. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

As I had just mentioned in my most recent thread, "Very Early Pair of Boston - Sandwich Whale Oil Lamps ? Value" my mothers' family was from Sandwich, a small town on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, many years ago. These two Mary Gregory glass vases have been in my family for years. My mother would speak of the many copies or work done in the Mary Gregory style. She was certain that these were done by Mary Gregory while she worked at Sandwich Glass. My mother would have been 100 years old last year. These vases came from her family. They are numbered on the bottom of each vase 28 and 29. There is a very tiny 1mm chip on the upper rim of one vase. I was hoping that someone could give me their opinion on their value.

13 - Mary Gregory Glass Vases -optimized.jpg 13f - Mary Gregory back view.jpg 13b - Girl vase bottom detail.jpg 13e - Boy vase bottom detail.jpg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Have you contacted the Sandwich Glass Museum about these? They wouldn't give you value but they may be able to confirm that they are, in fact, made by Sandwich.
    https://sandwichglassmuseum.org/

3. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Hello Marie, Thank you for your suggestion. I live in Rhode Island and have a timeshare in Hyannis Mass. Several years ago while staying there I visited the Museum. They had a tour and a demonstration on blowing glass the way they did in the old days. It was a very interesting tour. I clicked on your link and started to make an inquiry. I see you can ask questions but did not see that you could upload images. I will check further into it. I could drive there in about 80 minutes.

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

You can email the curator directly, her email address is on the "Contact" page. That way you can attach photos.

It's a great museum for such a small town, very nice people. I live on Cape Cod and belong to the Cape Cod Glass Club. During normal COVID-free years we hold several meetings there a year :)

i need help likes this.
  5. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Thank you Marie, I have already drafted an email and attached images to Dorothy, the curator. Seeing it is late in the day I plan to send it in the morning. I called and spoke to the receptionist and she also suggested I contact Dorothy. I will report back once I here her opinion. I am also asking her opinion in a separate email regarding the pair of whale oil lamps I posted in an earlier thread today. Thank you for your help.

6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I really hate to say this, but...

Don't hold your breath.

Mary Gregory painted snow scenes.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

Wikipedia;

Mary Gregory (1856–1908)[1] was an Americanartist known for her decoration of glass products at the Boston and Sandwich Glass Company in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Gregory worked for Boston and Sandwich from 1880 to 1884.[2] Gregory painted lamps and plaques of landscape scenes during her years at B&SGC.[2]

Victorian children[edit]
    She was particularly well known for her paintings of Victorian-era children,[3] and such artwork has been referred to as Mary Gregory since the 1920s. The glass most likely came from Bohemia, England, or Italy. Despite this, many glass art enthusiasts continue to refer to such pieces as Mary Gregory.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cherryhill likes this.
  9. RLM Stamps

RLM Stamps Member

I sent an email to the curator of the Sandwich Museum. This was her response copy and pasted. I guess stories and information can get mixed up over several generations. :jawdrop: Thank you for all of the information.

Dear Bob,

Although a Mary Gregory did work as a decorator at the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company, this type of glassware was not manufactured in Sandwich. How her name was attached to this type of glassware is a mystery. The majority of “Mary Gregory” glassware was made in Europe, probably Bohemia.

We are very fortunate to have Mary Gregory’s diaries in our collection. She worked at the factory for a couple of years in the early 1880s, before leaving to care for her sister’s child. Her sister became gravely ill after giving birth. Mary later received an inheritance fromm an uncle and never worked again. She writes of painting lamp shades and lamp stems. We are also very fortunate to have in our collection, Sandwich trade catalogs from the 1870s and 1880s, which feature the Company’s decorated wares. I have attached an example of one of the pages. Edward Swann, who headed the decorating department, learned his skill decorating ceramics in England. Most of the designs are nature inspired with numerous floral motifs.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
    Dorothy G. Hogan-Schofield
    Curator
    Sandwich Glass Museum
    P.O. Box 103
    Sandwich, MA 02563

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That's so cool that she responded - and with such great information!

Tanya likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

it is.

Misused terms in glass: Mary Gregory, Bristol Blue, Nailsea and Murano. <sigh>

Draft saved Draft deleted