Featured Panel cut stems w/ frosted "S" mark on the bottom - need help please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Jul 19, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have checked all the usual suspects that might use this mark but have had absolutely zero luck. :(:(

They were also part of the table lot from Friday. This guy loved his crystal & had all manner of wonderful cut glass as well as stuff by Lalique, Sinclair, Waterford, Steuben, Orrefors & more. These stems have the look & feel of quality glass.

I have 2 this size (4 1/2" tall & a little over 3 oz.) as well as 8 cordials (3 5/8" & 1 1/2 oz.).

The panels go all the way down the stems to the foot.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

2. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    judy likes this.
  3. bercrystal

I thank you for trying but Nachtmann would not have put an "S" on the bottom of their stems.

judy, LauraGarnet02 and DizzyDaff like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very pretty. I have no new ideas, but hope you can identify them.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

6. bercrystal

@ola402 - It sure does look like the same pattern. Now, why would Webb Thomas put an S on the bottom of stems they made? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I also want to know how you came to find them? :wacky::wacky:

LauraGarnet02 and i need help like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great find Pam, they look the same:)
    I think they used the S to denote which factory it was made in.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Webb second mark.

9. bercrystal

I think I may have figured it out. :happy:

https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Glass-Marked-Webb

According to what this page said the S may signify the Stourbridge factory as opposed to the Tutbury factory.

Since there is no Webb Corbett mark they are likely seconds as @Ownedbybear noted above.

Please do let me know if I am correct in my thinking. :happy:

Thank you so much @ola402!! :happy::happy::kiss:

Figtree3, judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I used to be able to find things easily on the R site, but they changed it awhile back and now I can't. But . . . the search term "cut panels" must be near and dear to them because it always works on this type of stem.

It's very nice crystal. Glad you found it with the help of the all the others! It's pretty old, ca 1958.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  11. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

1958 ....Old????:eek: That makes me ancient.:dead:;)

Figtree3, judy and bercrystal like this.
  12. bercrystal

Since I was born in '53 I am also in the ancient category & when I first get out of bed in the morning I feel like I belong in that category. ;):playful::playful: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. bercrystal

I did search using that term but just looked at companies that could have been associated with the mark. :rolleyes::oops::oops::shame::bag:

judy likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

I've never seen Webb with a factory letter, tbh. And I'd expect it to be tiny, not plastered across the base like that. ;)

Shame that site can't spell Stourbridge.

bercrystal, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Defending my statement about '58 being old, I was just researching some Lenox stemware that I bought at a tag sale. It has 2 things going against it. First, the water glasses look like today's wines and the wines look like a swallow maybe. Second, the date the glasses were made falls in the age range of people who don't collect it any more. I'm older than both of you (but not by much) and I don't collect stemware now since I have as much as I want or even need. So I was a little depressed about my success in selling the Lenox glass. With that still in my head, I noticed Peggy's were discontinued in 1958. But Webb crystal is really nice so they may have a chance of finding a new home.

Agreed, but maybe they wanted to be sure people understood it was a second. Protecting the brand maybe.

bercrystal likes this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It's odd-looking, not a professional grade die-cut stamp. Could someone have added it after-market? Is it definitely acid-etched?

bercrystal likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Sorry, I mean the supposed factory mark, S , not a second S. That could well be big.

bercrystal likes this.
  18. bercrystal

You know we were just yanking on your chain. ;):happy: :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Someone post a saying in the funnies thread - it is weird being the same age as old people - & that sort of sums up the whole thing. :p:p

Just this morning as I was entering our Social Security deposits into the check register I thought how is this possible????? :confused::confused::wacky::wacky::wacky: :hilarious:

19. Ownedbybear

They use checks for SS? How quaint. ;)

SBSVC likes this.
  20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@bercrystal Yes, I know you were teasing! I think I was still thinking too hard about my Lenox stemware.

Occasionally, I get reminded about how old the rest of the world thinks I am (Much older than I think I am). When a young person opens a door or offers to help me carry something, I'm still not used to it. To myself I say, "Oh, they're doing that because they think I'm old! How sweet."
    That's too funny and exactly how I feel.

janettekay, DizzyDaff and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted