paper label on dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by cyn, Aug 13, 2019.

1. cyn

cyn New Member

i am in maryland. but drove to connecticut to buy the dressers. that lady bought them at an antique place, probably up there.

James Conrad likes this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I see, well, if drawer secondary wood is oak, chest is probably english, if poplar it's american, if pine could be either.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@James Conrad
    This is Slightly wavey. Is it considered Serpentine?

James Conrad likes this.
  4. James Conrad

Yep, is.
    The OP chest is called a "chest on chest", not real popular in the USA, more popular in england, they can hold a lot of stuff. Some so tall you needed a ladder to reach the top drawers. 18th century furniture form.

Michael77, antidiem and i need help like this.
  5. cyn

cyn New Member

ok, thank you. i will try and get pictures tomorrow. really appreciate you taking time to try and help.

antidiem and i need help like this.
  6. James Conrad

An american chest on chest example, C 1785, Chippendale

9025r.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Michael77, i need help and sabre123 like this.
  7. cyn

cyn New Member

thank you

Michael77 and i need help like this.
  8. cyn

cyn New Member

dear lord!!! i would need a ladder and scaffold. definitely need 12-14 foot ceilings for that one.

Michael77 and i need help like this.
  9. James Conrad

English example George lll C. 1790 (in USA hepplewhite or federal)

320x320-1542883271-GGw1b.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    SBSVC, Michael77 and i need help like this.
  10. cyn

cyn New Member

thank you

11. cyn

cyn New Member

IMG_2593A.jpg IMG_2591A.jpg IMG_2592A.jpg IMG_2594A.jpg ok, here are some pictures of the small table that came with the two larger dressers. i have since found an actual stamped number but has a weird half moon between the numbers as well. anyhow, info is greatly appreciated. thanks.

IMG_2590A.jpg View attachment 196881

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. James Conrad

Looks like oak on drawer construction, guesses English, machine cut dovetails, 1st half 20th century. Your chest & table are revival pieces, George lll in England or Hepplewhite here. Popular here during the federal period, 1790-1830.

i need help likes this.
  13. James Conrad

After Hepplewhite died in the late 1790s, his wife published a book of his work & there was a revival period of his designs in England in the 1880s but your pieces are later i would say, 20th century.

i need help likes this.
  14. cyn

cyn New Member

thank you. i kinda figured they were 40's or 50's, but didn't know the rest of the information so thank you. would you know where i can research english manufacturers for this label please? i am like a fish out of water here.

i need help likes this.
  15. James Conrad

No, don't have a clue. My area of interest is early american furniture, i know just enough about english furniture to get me in trouble. :sorry:

i need help likes this.
  16. cyn

cyn New Member

ok, thank you for all your help and troubles.

i need help and James Conrad like this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't matter much who made this. Value is similar to other makers of similar. Quality looks better than much of what we see so maybe a slight premium.

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  18. cyn

cyn New Member

thank you for your reply. im not really interested in worth. i was looking to maybe acquire more pieces as i like the style. why i wondered about the label at least i could have a name to research for possible purchase.

19. James Conrad

Guesses True! Although wayyyyyyyyyyy out of my area of interest, Brad would know value on 20th century revival furniture as he sells it everyday.
    I don't know your budget but, you might try looking at some period pieces (both american & english) of this style, there has never been a better time to buy period antique furniture in my lifetime.
    What did the lady in Connecticut tell you about this furniture?

20. cyn

cyn New Member

thank you for your response. i didnt get much information from the lady in connecticut. she is going through a nasty divorce. so it was a 7 plus hour drive one way, load up the furniture and leave kinda deal. she said she bought the dressers at an antique store years ago and didnt have use for it anymore as she was down sizing. she lived in a very large house, so i could understand now moving into an apartment. i also have furniture from my family which is quite old. in fact a piece you would probably love. i was told it was white cherry when i had it refinished years ago. beautiful dresser. i know antiques have gone way down in price which is quite sad. different era everything comes from ikea or the likes. i bought this furniture because i needed storage. then i found the tattered labels which struck my curiosity about possibly finding more of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted