Featured Paperweight with a cane marked 1852

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Was in an antique shop today and saw this paperweight. I looked at it and thought it to be high quality. It also has a cane in it marked 1852. I thought I had seen one like it on here before but cant find the thread. Anyway can anybody tell me anything about it? I only spent $15 on it and I like it that much anyway.
    BTW it has a polished bottom. Thank you in advance.
    Mike
    DSCN4665.JPG DSCN4665.JPG DSCN4663 (2).JPG DSCN4663 (2).JPG DSCN4660 (3).JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :):):)

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Bdigger

Thanks Guys. I was pretty sure it was a newer weight. But had to double check!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I found an interesting read...here is an excerpt:
    Sandivich/New England Glass Company. Because of the difficulty in distinguishing millefiori weights made by these two companies, there has been considerable confusion concerning the attribution of dated examples. This confusion has been exacerbated by the reported existence of both 1825 and 1852 dates. The Sandwich founding date of 1825 led early researchers to assume the 1825 date was somehow commemorative.

Recent evidence, including a dated buttercup, indicates that the often-seen 10-pointed cog cane containing three running hares was made by XEC >( 1 and reads 1852. When inserted inverted, which sometimes also occurred in Baccarat and Saint Louis weights, or in scrambled weights where the “wrong end” is easily viewed, the backward 1852 cane reads 1825, and the three rabbits are inverted. A well-known example is the dated, spiral-faceted crown weight in the Bergstrom collection (which was also in the Great Paperweight Show at The Corning Museum), in which the inverted date cane reads a clear, but backwards, 1825, when 1852 was intended.

7. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

8. Bdigger

@flipper
    Thank you flipper. that is a very useful article. I've bookmarked it.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Bdigger

Draft saved Draft deleted