Featured Paperweights - Anything Good Here?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 28, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I saw this group of paperweights for sale and thought perhaps a couple might be worth something. I need help! Is this just my imagination. Any comments appreciated.

392062262_6147891591979382_3611739562306492615_n.jpg

Figtree3, Boland, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

First I know very little about paperweights.....so this is just my musings....
    The one I circled looks very interesting to me. I like the symmetry. It just looks like a quality weight.
    The one I arrowed is a cane that is different then the others in the weight. Maybe a form of signature/ makers mark? Without a closer view and more pics, it is hard to tell.
    Like I said.....Just my uninformed observations. Maybe @Josh can help. The canes can tell a lot about a Paperweight. Often times makers marks are in the canes. If the price was reasonable I'd buy them if for no other reason then a learning experience.

392062262_6147891591979382_3611739562306492615_n.jpg

Happy!, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. You got the one I thought was most interesting. I also was interested in the scrambled Millefiori paperweight. I am guessing this is someone who inherited these things, and doesn't know about them. The price point is fairly high, so I really need to if there are a couple of good pieces. I looked at the one you had the arrow at - let me enlarge it. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Aquitaine, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Here is that one alone. I didn't see a signature cane, but I'm not sure where to look.

intereting.jpg

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Her pictures are pretty poor, there are actually 18 weights but a lot of them are crap.

judy likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some of those might be really good, but I don't really know what I'm doing with them. The perfume bottle missing its stopper is alas missing its stopper. Might have been something good.

7. KikoBlueEyes

I get you completely. I have a small collection of weights - a few really good ones. I would like to add some more good ones, but I don't know if any of these would make it worthwhile.

judy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have some, but only when I found them going for pennies, or at any rate under USD$10 and the colors and designs wanted to follow me home. I know enough to spot the cruder Chinese ones, suplhides and such, but that's about it.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

I bought one at auction - a Baccarat - but most of mine are ones from thrifts that don't know what they are selling. I generally don't look anymore, these just popped up. If I would make an offer, I would be paying about $15 per.

judy likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh heck no. Way too much .Most look to be Chinese dreck.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I always appreciate your knowledge. I realize that the person who collected had some bad taste.

judy likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The circled one is Perthshire or strathearn. There’s a couple of reasonable modern Chinese ones, but the really interesting two are the scrambles. The one below the bottle looks very clichy. The big dump is nice, too.

How much are they after?

johnnycb09, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Arrow one might be Toso. The pale green fountain is decent modern Chinese as is the pink below it. Bottle is annoyingly familiar.

14. KikoBlueEyes

They want $350. They also said make an offer so I thought $250. I will also pay for shipping because they didn't offer it. I am only showed the interesting ones. There are 18'in total.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

A toso would also be nice. I could try to sell off the bottle and others to make up the cost

johnnycb09 likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

I’d gamble $250, I think. The Clichy would be twice that if it’s right. I’d also nag then about proper packaging.

go on, show the rest!

17. KikoBlueEyes

I didn't want to until I made an offer, as the world can see these posts.

387257023_6727793853971838_206124204737314341_n.jpg

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Shipping on these could be pretty high if there are 18 of them. Honestly they might have to ship in more than one box.

I'm a sucker for interesting glass, but honestly I'd hesitate unless I was really just doing it to learn. I do see some that would be fun to have, but I am also thrown off by a few that look Chinese.

Tough decision.

19. KikoBlueEyes

Tough decision. That's why I came to all you wonderful folks. :happy: I like to hear all sides. On Facebook Marketplace shipping is discounted, so I would fork out about $30 for shipping. I would have to pay a like amount in tax. It would be a gamble for sure.

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Peacock is Chinese, butterfly is interesting.

you should have done a back door post. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted