Featured Parad Cristal AU Plomb Hungary Spheres

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by billyd3us, Nov 14, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

This is my friends, he found next to trash can on trash day across from his street.
    He doesn't own a computer, he's old school.
    He wanted me to find out for him how old or modern these are, they stack on top of each other.
    I couldn't find anything like these from this company.

Thanks

Billy 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Plumb" means lead - as in lead crystal - 24% lead?

3. billyd3us

Yes Thanks Bakersgma, I have already been doing research for a few hours on these. I wanted to know if anyone can find similar ones or knew anything about these.

judy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The company still exists, apparently. They sell on alibaba, although they say they now make only 100% lead-free glassware. Been around a long time, although I did see a notice that the original company was taken over by the "state" in 2004. With that kind of label, we're definitely talking post WWII - and probably well past.

How do they balance together? Are there flat places?

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With that kind of labeling, they're 70s or later - often much later. I'd guess 1990s in this case.

judy likes this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm going to agree with post-1970. Based on the info below, I'd guess probably post-1973, and pre-2005:

The modern iteration of Parád Glass:
    ...in 1973, two locally-bound glass designers, Tibor Házi and György Rénes designed and built this manufacture, as an experimental workshop
    ...after several years of preparatory work, with the help of job creation tenders and the Heves County Enterprise and Regional Development Foundation's concessions, this plant started.

1992 Advertisement:
    HUNGARY - This country's oldest glass manufacturer (producing top-quality, hand-made glass products) seeks potential commercial partners and/or investors. Contact Atilla Muller, General Manager, Parád Glass Factory Ltd.,H-3242,Paradsasvar Rakoczi ut 46-48.Budapest, Hungary. Tel.:(36)36-64-123.Fax:(36) 36-64-494.
    from: https://resources.library.upei.ca/govdocs/canadexport/1992/1992-01-15.pdf

FACTS AND DATA ON HUNGARIAN PRIVATIZATION - 1992 compiled by Government Counsellor Bertalan Diczhazy
    Major companies privatized in 1992: … Parád Glass Works

The Corning Museum of Glass appears to hold copies of Parád's catalogs from 1998 thru 2003.
    from: https://m.cmog.org/library/2003-catalog-para-d-krista-ly-manufaktu-ra?search=library_collection:f8347b1d171b16b95cfd59396fd7a4cd&page=2

Thursday, June 30, 2005, 08:01
    The first tender has been announced to buy the assets of Parád Kristály Manufacture Rt of Parád, north Hungary, business daily Napi Gazdaság reported. The liquidator Mátraholding Rt will charge Ft318.5 million for Parád, however, the company also has a debt of Ft 436 million. The glass production machines and the plant in Parádsasvár can only be bought together, Mátraholding said. The company's office building and other buildings can be bought separately too, but only when the plant has been sold.
    From: https://bbj.hu/bbj/parad-glass-factory-to-be-sold_3773

7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

8. evelyb30

In this case I think the manufacturer missed the boat; those balls would make a heckuva pendant light fixture with the right metal bits and LED lamps (no worries about a hot bulb) and I'd do something else with the stand. I can just see those in a nice modern kitchen, hanging over a table or an island.

judy likes this.
  9. billyd3us

Okay Thanks, I will let my friend know..

judy likes this.
  10. billyd3us

Great information, I will show all this to my friend this weekend. He is a poor man living in a room of a trailer, I asked him before he could live here with me, he said no, he didn't want to intrude. He is a very loving man, I will let him know, Thank You.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  11. billyd3us

Thanks, I don't like the stand either. I agree with you, hanging in a kitchen or something would be cool.

judy likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are they each open on one side? I have a piece by Imperlux that looks very similar to a single one of these that is meant to hold a votive candle. Is each one a different design? Wondering whether only the largest belongs in the holder & previous owner just found they could be stacked this way when not in use.

judy likes this.
  13. evelyb30

I'm wondering if that holder didn't have a glass insert originally, one of those thick bubbled Mexican glass ones.

dgbjwc likes this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Billy - Is each ball marked and are they glued or balanced? I'm wondering whether it's three unrelated pieces that someone crafted together and put on a stand. The bottom piece looks like it might be a rose bowl. Does it have a flat base? I've been staring at this thing since it was posted and somehow it just doesn't make sense to me.
    Don

15. billyd3us

Only the medium size one has the stickers, the others look like something else maybe. All 3 have an opening, the bigger one has a flat start side. 057.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted