Featured Parchment Indenture; 1758, England

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by wlwhittier, Apr 12, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It is 24" wide, ~20" high. Created in the 32nd year of the reign of George II. It is folded into 4 vertical an' 4 horizontal panels, creating a roughly 6" X 5" packet.

It is fully legible, an' in lucid English. I plan to transcribe it in its entirety, both the main (front) page, an' the rear notations.

As so often happens with me, I stumbled on it while looking for something else. I am abashed to admit that I have no recollection of when or where I acquired this ancient legal document.

I am without clue about what to do with it, but feel it has only modest monetary value, if any at all...except perhaps to the original family mentioned within.

It deals with an inheritance, and an annuity of 10 (pounds?) charged upon lands in Rivington. There are many names of the family members, an' several of various officials/lawyers, along with revenue/tax stamps; there are 4 wax seals adjacent names at the bottom.

I offer it in hopes that some of you will find interest in it, an' perhaps offer guidance about what should be done with it.
    As always, Thanks for lookin'!

Tripartite Indenture front.jpeg Tripartite Indenture back.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2024
    stracci, Figtree3, mirana and 4 others like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Any chance of tracking down some of the descendants ? If it was part of my family tree,I'd dearly love to have it.

Figtree3, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  3. wlwhittier

Yeah...I suppose. The location is pretty specific, an', as a legal document, it's certainly filed in some moldy archive close to that place. But I ain't gonna fly to Merry Ol' England for the opportunity. Those of our members who are now possessed of a new King in the person of Bonnie Prince Charles will be in far better circumstance to undertake that research if so inclined.
    When (if, but I'm gonna try hard to accomplish it) I get it transcribed, I'll include a list of names an' their roles in the inheritance, if I can determine that.
    It oughta be good for a laugh anyway, eh?

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  4. bosko69

It'd be a real kick if one of the kin saw it,great piece of family ephemera to have on the wall.
    Speaking of 'Bonnie' Prince Charlie,dig this-

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Are the seals all the same or each different? Armorials or something simpler? There are people who collect seals.

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

The four red wax seals appear to be the same; some official 'certifying' that the signatures adjacent are genuine.

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  7. wlwhittier

Reminiscent of Bill Haley at his worst!

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Sad to say they are very common over here.
    Mortgages, land deeds, wills all on Vellum.

If it involves lands, they have probably been split into smaller parts and owned by numerous folks since, many of the properties won't exist anymore.

I have about 5, one of which is in 4 pages.

There are many for sale on eBay.uk
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...243.m570.l1311&_nkw=indenture+vellum&_sacat=0

Here's one of mine.

20190417_113305.jpg

20190417_113323.jpg

Sedona, komokwa, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  9. bosko69

They used to sell these in the interior decor section of Cost+ (World Market),San Francisco back in the 70's-80's.

wlwhittier likes this.
  10. wlwhittier

Ah, so...sigh.

daveydempsey likes this.
  11. bosko69

My reaction to so very many of my 'treasures' too friend....but every now n' then !

12. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I have a similar handwritten English wedding settlement document from 1787, with all of the seals intact. It’s not from my family, and want to send it to a good home. Is there anyone that purchases them?

wlwhittier likes this.
  13. wlwhittier

14. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks. I tried to research the people named on it. Some things came up, but nothing promising. It would be cool to reunite it with a descendant. The item has no value to me, but I wouldn’t think of tossing it, either.

I may create a separate thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted