Featured Passing of great NM artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by GaleriaGila, Oct 29, 2015.

1. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I want to share one of my favorite pieces of art (no, not one of mine!), and say some good words about a beautiful lady.

Betty Hummer, a very popular artist in the "4-corners" area (where NM, UT, AZ and CO meet) has died at the age of 87 in her beloved Las Cruces, NM.

Regionally adored for her depictions of local scenery (pecan groves, old adobe houses, the Rio Grande, and more), she often mixed watercolors with pastel crayons to bring beautiful portraits of places to life. I own one of her pieces... it's about 2 x 3 feet... purchased directly from her circa 2000 (for about $200, which was a LOT for me in those days, but I HAD to HAVE it). It's called "Hecho en Casa en Mesilla" ("Home-made in Mesilla") and depicts an old (abandoned or not; it can be hard to tell sometimes) house in Mesilla (founded circa 1800 --- Billy the Kid did some time there). Check out the old evaporative cooler on the roof... and beautiful flowers, which to me appear tended. She loved to include interpretation hints and hidden treasures in her works.

I enjoyed her company on several occasions. She encouraged me to be proud of my roots and not to be shy about expressing that artistically, however it came to me. She passed away after a long and beauty-filled life.

Dulces suenos, Bettita.

Thank you all for reading.

Attached Files:

2. maryislgal

maryislgal Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the painting and the memories.

4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you! So much.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That was very nice of you !!!

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

And nice of you folks to take an appreciative look at her work... this is kind of her first "international" showing...

komokwa likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can see why you would be attracted to it. Lovely!

8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

What a great painting. It kinda gives off a peaceful vibe to me! Thank you for sharing the story and her beautiful artwork.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of her passing but glad you are sharing her work. She will live on through her work. Gorgeous painting and I like that it is large scale. So many of these detailed regional paintings are small.

silverthwait likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you all. I feel proud for her. Yankees like her stuff!

komokwa likes this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

That is a beauty of a painting!

Thank you for sharing. :happy:

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you so much.

antidiem likes this.
  13. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

Beautiful painting and I loved the story that went with it. Thank you.

14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Gila......what a lovely tribute to post, and I love the painting. Sounds like she was a wise and talented woman, and you are lucky to have one of her works!!!!

16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you... it's a treasure to me!

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Gila, your post is a wonderful tribute to your friend. I like this piece a lot!

Fig

18. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks a million, Fig!

Draft saved Draft deleted