Featured Pastel chalk drawing- horse

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

53E1B055-4F54-45D7-81A6-F64BC984CFB9.jpeg E1160F03-1063-4D78-8463-43219891D466.jpeg 14DED25A-1648-4A35-9E3B-96962E0B25F5.jpeg 94B8F332-6FD8-4334-9DD2-AED7272661AF.jpeg Hi all,not sure if this is a chalk or pastel drawing (thinking chalk) Also thinking it was rather skilfully done? And I like it. Have been trying to decipher the signature. Any ideas/suggestions please? It’s 38x27cm. Thank you for any comment and keep well.

2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Look at those big sorrowful eyes

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Longingly looking at something! (Maybe looking at the winner of the race)

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Or a nice, juicy carrot!

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's lovely. Interesting the way the artist ended the pastel painting at the cheek, so it would be centered within the page.

pearlsnblume and Boland like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comment. So pastel. Also I don’t pick-up on these finer details (like the centre thing) Appreciate you pointing it out.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. antidiem

No problem. I'm not sure if the "Annandale" is a particular breed, or a specific lineage of another breed. I could only find sparce info about it online and didn't read it thoroughly.

pearlsnblume and Boland like this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I tried to find information. There’s race horse called Annandale (but that’s too recent) Seems there also a Annandale racecourse. Maybe the horse was named: Shawn (ha ha) Also looked a the historical meaning of Shawn (just for interest sake) Any guesses as to the name of the artist? Thanks

9. antidiem

No, sorry, I tried so many combinations of that penciled mess of a name and couldn't find it online. I found the race track and the horse itself, but that's "Shawn" the horse, as far as I can tell and could find no reference to it.

In this particular instance, the name could be inside the back if it's got paper to seal it (as most pastel framers would use). IF you open it, please do not shuffle the pastel paper around on the glass. It may not be well "fixed" (sprayed with a fixative) and some artists never sprayed their work (i didn't) because it changes the appearance of the color. Pastel is soft chalk and not a very stable medium.

Boland likes this.
  10. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I paint with soft pastels and that is very well done. Just a touch of the neck keeps it from looking like a horseless horsehead but keeps the face the focus. I would think that Annandale is the ranch /stables from where Shawn was sired . There is a horse breeder in Annandale Va.

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice. I like that we can see the whiskers on the velvety nose.

kyratango and Boland like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Aquitaine , can you do anything to make the signature clearer?

Boland likes this.
  13. antidiem

Yes, I saw this too, but didn't feel it would make sense if I described it! :smuggrin:
    thank you :smug:

14. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Here is the only pastel I have done so far. I am about to do one of our favorite deceased dogs for my husband's Christmas. Double matting helps keep the pastel away from the glass even though mine has been sprayed with sealer.

Boland likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Figtree3, Best I can come up with.....Contrasted, sharpened, inverted, outlined (not necessarily in that order) & showing the differences.....still pretty hard to figure out!!!

FUZZY SIGNAT-1.jpg

FUZZY SIGNAT-2.jpg

FUZZY SIGNAT-3.jpg

antidiem, kyratango, Boland and 2 others like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks! I hadn't seen this thread earlier and was just curious if the signature could be improved enough to be readable. I guess not!

Boland and Aquitaine like this.
  17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well many thanks for searching and for your efforts in helping me to try figure it out. I also appreciate the advice regarding the medium (Im learning all the way)!

antidiem likes this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Good to get the opinion of another pastel artist. Glad you like it. Your comment regarding the neck also makes me appreciate it more.

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for making such a effort. I was beginning to think the surname is maybe French.Your images might help. I will have a look again.

antidiem, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks

antidiem, Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted