Featured Pattern name for H&C Austria Gorgeous Fish Plates?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Apr 3, 2016.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

H&C Carlsbad Austria

I was unable to find these in this particular pattern... I'm no expert in antique porcelain, and these don't seem old to me, just beautiful.

There is a large platter and 10 salad(?) plates - a gravy boat is cracked (with underplate) Thank yew!!!!

SAM_0082.JPG SAM_0085.JPG .

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a fish serving set, thus the fish. Is the platter oblong or round like the plates? Gravy boat was probably for white sauce, not gravy. It is a pretty set but probably had 12 plates in the beginning.
    greg

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Back in the day, a proper dinner included a fish course prior to the entree; hence the 'salad'-sized plates. And, obviously, the china pattern need not match anything else.

yourturntoloveit and scoutshouse like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The handwritten number is most likely the pattern.

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. scoutshouse

I love them, just can't find that fish/edge pattern and really not sure it's old? in such good condition, but I suppose they wouldn't show the same kind of wear as regular dinner plates.

It has a big, oval platter I haven't extracted from the shelf paste they used on everything :))) I'm not sure how many serving plates were included (I'll see it again tomorrow). The sauce boat has an x-shaped crack on the bottom :( with underplate.

7. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Nice!

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

My bet is they are old, Art Nouveau era and in the genre of Game Plates, Fish Plate service set. Can you tell if a transfer or hand painted?

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I looked up that mark at one time, but now can't remember who it is. I think I found it on PM&M, but I find that site hard to navigate and now can't find it. It's about the same time period as most of the gorgeous Haviland (ie. 1890s - 1930). My guess is the early part of that span.

What is written in the middle of that mark? I can't read it.

In any case there won't be a pattern name, just "Fish Serving Set" which is really all you need. It's lovely.

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Never mind, I see you stated "Carlsbad". Ok off to look some more.

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. scoutshouse

Thanks for that! If my visual memory serves, they're transfer.
    I agree!

I'll probably be over there today, and can confirm how many serving plates and whether those are transfers.

Thanks for your help!

Draft saved Draft deleted